Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First time rebuilder. Engine is in and running and now I'm battling issues one at a time. First up is timing.

Specs:

351c std- bore. 2v cc, 11.7:1 S282 cc.

New 7100 series Accel distributor. Problem is that is it seems to advance beyond the skies, so I want to limit both mechanical and vacuum advance. Engine likes a lot of advance early but pings under load.

Am I supposed to be able to pull the gear off the distributor while it is installed?

I've also tried using an allen wrench in the vacuum advance nibble, but it doesn't seem to go into anything. I can feel some springy plate put not a nut or anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cyberhawk9 on 10/1/06 10:02pm ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
The gear will come off, but not easily. I can't remember if you "GENTLY" pry it up or if it's locked down with a snap ring in the center. It should have come with instructions on how to get inside it and change the timing. Both total advance and at what RPMs. If I also remember right, the top part has 2 allen screws that hold it in place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The vacuum advance unit requires a 3/32 af allen key. Both advances on my dist were not what they said it would be, so check and adjust yours carefully. Turn vacuum advance anti clockwise for less advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts