Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i was born in 75, i don't know anything about points distributors. I am trying to stay on a budget, and while i would like an MSD set up, i am trying to find something that will "work" in the meantime. I'll have a pump gas 302 that won't be too radical, but will prob rev to 6500. I can get an Accel dual point for $25 used. Will this work for me? 25 bucks is hard to pass up, but if it is a total waste of time, i guess i should skip it. I also can get a stock 85 distributor for next to nothing.

·
Registered
749 Posts
unless its the racing mech advance version that you can adjust the dwell while running I would pass it up. I had one in 1980 in a 351C 4v combo...worked well....but thats like ancient stuff

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I used one up until around 10 years ago. It worked just fine... but, of course provided no rev limiter.

At the strip, I was powershifting the mustang into 3rd gear at 6500rpm... when the facing came off the clutch. SOOO... revs at 6500 w/throttle on the mat, push in the clutch, shift to 4th, let out clutch (all while the throttle is nailed), and there's NO 4th GEAR! The tach spins into the stratosphere and all eight exhaust valves get bent as they are floated into the pistons.

After the heads were repaired, I purchased an MSD 6AL w/rev limiter.

You can make a dual point distributor work, but you've got to use good points and replace them often. Good points are around $10 for each set (two required), and the condensors are also a few dollars. It won't take too many tune-ups to pay off an electronic ignition.

It's your money. If you're planning on going to electronic ignition later anyway, you might as well do it now.

You can get by with a duraspark, they make a great trigger device for a good aftermarket box, but come with a crappy ignition curve. The curve comes in too slow, then advances way too far. You CAN get in there and adjust the curve with an advance stop and lighter springs, but the MSD Billet distributer is a nice, fresh, (and very pretty) $170 item that makes all this adjustment really easy. Plus it's not all worn out. It's nice, new, and tight. I'm really glad I bought one. I took the splurge when upgrading to the 6AL box around 10 years ago.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
One problem with buying a cheap points distributor is that replacement parts can be fairly expensive. I bought a Mallory dual point to put in my '63 Falcon, but I found out the Petronix unit would be about the same price as the new points and condenser. Therefore, I plan on keeping the Mallory for the vintage look, but putting the Petronix Ignitor in for reliability.

Being born in '76, I don't know much about points either, but I was told the points wear out fairly quick, reducing the dwell as they go.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the rumor that the Petronix Ignitor doesn't work with some tachometers?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - you've scared me away from the points ignition. I guess i'll go with the duraspark unit for now. I intend to upgrade to MSD, but I need to finish scraping up the money for the rest of the work on my heads, getting a carb, and intake. If i get a 6al box, and attempt to "blueprint" a stock distributor to get an acceptable curve, this should work is what it sounds like. As far as i know you can use the MSD box with a non-MSD distributor. If this doesn't sound right, please tell me where i am wrong. Thanks again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you use a "good" tach such as an Autometer it will work. The cheaper "SunTune"
and the low cost tachs have a problem with some of the CD/MicroProcess. Type ignitions. The manufactureres of these ignitions will supply a "filter" for the tachs to read properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts