Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Struggling to find information on how to take my non-Active-Exhaust 2020 Mustang GT, and make it so that it has the active exhaust valves. Everyone on youtube seems quick to show off what Active exhaust -does-, except for one video I found where the guy simply ripped off the valves and rigged them to show us how they mechanically work...and then on other forums, I'm seeing a lot of confusion of how to actually upgrade to it. Before anyone says it, No Roush Kit...I do not like how it sounds, nor how destructive the install is for the roush set, and would rather make it so that the wiring/programming ends up being controlled from the steering wheel like it is with the OEM option.

Going to upgrade to the Borla ATAK cat-back system (the Active Exhaust version, so that I do not piss off apartment neighbors), but outside of what's included in that system, I'm unsure what parts I need to buy in order to also upgrade to the OEM active exhaust valves. Guy at the parts desk seemed unsure, without me having to buy the entire $2500 kit, which includes the pipes and I don't need those. He seemed willing to set me up with an order for the specific parts I'll need, just was unsure which parts those were. Told me that I could go find out and then bring a list back to him.

I know that after the hardware, there will be some computer programming needing done. So for this post, just looking for hardware information.

Would anyone be willing to shed some light on which parts those would be? Thanks in advance!

For reference, here is the Borla ATAK system that I'm looking at (if links are allowed)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Not worth the upgrade.....you'll need a PCM with 4 different "Exhaust Tunes" as well as dash and steering wheel controls....I doubt your GT is wired up for it and if not the Borla system is opened and closed with a toggle switch?? :unsure:

I have OEM active exhaust on my 2019 vert and it is truly PERFECT from the factory so Iowan may be right??:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not worth the upgrade.....you'll need a PCM with 4 different "Exhaust Tunes" as well as dash and steering wheel controls....I doubt your GT is wired up for it and if not the Borla system is opened and closed with a toggle switch?? :unsure:

I have OEM active exhaust on my 2019 vert and it is truly PERFECT from the factory so Iowan may be right??:)
Actually since I posted this, I've found a pretty definitive "how to" and am exploring it further. Was going to come back to post once I verified that it works.

Seems like:

1x - JR3Z-14A411-J wiring harness (Y harness)
2x - JR3Z-14A411-H wiring harnesses (from Y to actuator)
2x - JR3Z-5K245-B actuators

And then use FORScan, with an OBD Scanner to enable the factory settings ( IPC 720-10-01 ) that'll give you the digital cluster options to navigate to with the steering wheel arrow keypad.

Source for credit to the Original poster of that tutorial: (If links to other forums are allowed, you can see the forum post here):

However, the above guide is for a 2019, not a 2020. I've been able to find the equivalent parts for the JR3Z-14A411-H, and the JR3Z-5K245-B directly on the ford website

2020 - JR3Z-14A411-H - equivalent
2020 - JR3Z-5K245-B - equivalent

However when I search for JR3Z-14A411-J, it claims that that is not only on backorder, but also not compatible with my car...so digging for that right now, to see if that's an error on the ford website and I can use it anyway, or if there's a different jumper that I'll need.

Another nuance that I'm exploring is that some people say that the place to plug in the above jumpers are sometimes simply not there for some reason. So I'm exploring that with my car, to figure out if I have the place for those, and if not, then what else I'd need to buy.

A second user, here posted about their success using the above linked step-by-step, except they had to use HPTuners in conjunction with the FORScan. I can't tell yet, if that was because they had a custom tune on their car already using HPTuners, or if I'll need HPTuners as well to do something that FORScan cannot.

A lot of learning as I go along here, but happy to find that it's mostly possible as long as the above two nuances about the jumpers pan out well.

Will be back to reply to other replies, as well as after I've gone through the motions of testing this process :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like quite a PROJECT.....I hope it works for you?? o_O

What do you figure the total cost will be??:unsure:
For the parts listed above, and the Borla ATAK system, roughly $3500 for hardware. ($1500 for just the active exhaust parts and programs/scanners, and then $2000 for the Borla ATAK exhaust kit)

Not sure what I'll need for labor yet for anything that I want/need help with.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I just looked at the window sticker on my 2019 car and Active Exhaust was an $895.00 option....I'd certainly do it again!!(y)

I sure hope your project is successful....GOOD LUCK!! (y) :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked at the window sticker on my 2019 car and Active Exhaust was an $895.00 option....I'd certainly do it again!!(y)

I sure hope your project is successful....GOOD LUCK!! (y) :)
yep -- $895 add-on lol. That's why I underestimated it...figured "$895? How bad can it be..."

Thanks for the well-wishes! Will end up updating this thread if it's successful, to help spread the info...because that's been the biggest pain in the butt on this upgrade is simply tracking down definitive info on it.

Have a good one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts