Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if the linkage on the comet would be able to have a mount that would adapt to the newer style blocks?(since it looks like the comet will have to have a new engine since the main bearings spun) My tech teacher said we lowered the compression ratio too much and it spun a bearing.....never heard an engine do that nor has dad(fxcomet).

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Usually thats due to a lack of oil where it needs to be. The bearing runs dry and grabs the crank. I haven't thought of it before but I suppose if you had an engine with one or more cylinders not making much of any compression those cylinders would not get the push that they need to turn the crank around. That could put a big drag on the crank on those particular bearings especially if some of the other cylinders had better compression. Surely you all did a compression test on this if it was a new motor?

There is that threaded hole in the old blocks for bolting down the clutch linkage. If you go with a new block I believe you will need to convert to a cable clutch.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I got to look at the car yesterday for the first time. It's not due to low compression, I assure you. Check my "disaster, part 2" post for the whole deal...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
To put the early linkage on a newer block you will need a pivot ball adapter that bolts to the bellhousing, the newer blocks dont have the boss where the ball screws into the block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts