Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the jan. 2000 issue of mutang ill. and saw an article on adapting a 69 mustang to rack and pinion steering using a custom cross member, a rack from an 86-88 mercury sable and inner and outer tie rods from a mustang II. I know this is possible to do on my 71 torino but how much different would it be? Will the tie rods from the mustang II work? and Where can I find universal joints to make the steering cloumn work? Any suggestions also to make it go more smoothly? Thanks for your hlep in advance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
gee, I just posted about that article! I'm not sure it will work on your torino since I believe it has a wider track than a 69 Mustang which means the tie rod likely wouldn't reach.

Steve S.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well does anyone know the differece in the track of a 69 mustang and a 71 torino... they can;t be that different.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ack! I have a rack like that in my garage. Mine is shorter though, could be because it is a manual rack.
I was thinking of putting a plate on like the TCP units, so it would use the stock tie rods.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Smart move on the plate Walt. Many folks believe as long as the total width is correct they'll be ok. As you know, the tie rods must pivot at the same point as the lower control arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts