Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can add a trans kick-down lever to a Holley 650DP?

If not, I'm sure some of you guys have fabricated something clever - any ideas would be appreciated.

I'd hate to have to downshift manually every time I punch it. I'll wear my shifter out in about a week!

Thanks!

JC - '68 Fastback

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JC on 1/30/02 12:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
180 Posts
Find an old Holley with a kickdown lever like what a stock Ford had and rob the throttle shaft out of it and install it in yours.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Racerguy, but...

I'd hate to tear down a brand spankin' new carb and install the throttle shaft from an old one.

I do have some old 600 vac secondaries around - will the shaft interchange with a 650 DP?

Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
596 Posts
check out Lockar, I don't know about the DP, but for my Edelebrock 600 it worked great, and when I switched to a Holly 750 it went right on, minor adjustments, and looks good.

do you really down shift that much? your trany would wear before the shifter......

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm not certain of the DP Holley carbs but when I installed a 600 holley (vac. sec) a long time ago on a previous granada I had I bought a kit from holley that allows use of the ford kickdown rod. From my recollection you do have to change or take out the throttle shaft to install the linkage that lets you adapt the kickdown rod to your holley carb. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Rather than remove the whole throttle shaft i have done a few by grinding the end of the shaft that is peened over to hold on the linkage just enough to remove the end plate,get hold of an old base plate with the k/d linkage ,fit it on the put the original linkage plate back on with a couple spots with a mig welder just like the barry grant carbs have..You usually have to use the nylon bush + return spring that goes with the k/d lever.Hope that makes sense..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts