Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) what part numbers did you use from mcmaster?

2) Did you cut one end of the JIC fitting off and weld that to a flared end of the 1/2 tube?

3) which 1/2 tube did you get? i was looking at the different thicknesses and wasnt sure what was needed.

4) will brazing work instead of welding?

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I have done a few of these, and here is what I do. I flare a piece of 1/2" tubing to 37 degrees to accept a JIC fitting. I bend it to the same shape as the stock pickup tube. Then I remove the stock tube from the pickup assembly and enlarge the hole to 1/2". I slip the new tube into the pickup/sending unit assembly and I "sweat" the tube into the pickup disk with real silver solder. I then solder the sending unit assembly back in place and I am done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this didn't make any sence to me, why weld anything to the pickup?there is room flair the line coming out of the pick-up. i read this on the how-to in the tech section but then i started looking at it and it just made more sence to do it like this...

i did run 3/8's thought so this may be the deciding factor

http://www.splendora-classmates.com/images/mystang/100_0702.jpg
http://www.splendora-classmates.com/images/mystang/100_0707.jpg
http://www.splendora-classmates.com/images/mystang/100_0703.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sg69 on 9/5/06 11:37am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
sg69,
The welding is in the event you want to run a 1/2" or tube, which requires cutting out the stock 5/16 or 3/8" tube and replacing it.

Are you running EFI? I noticed the external fuel pump. Do you have any issues with the pump mounted in that location (above the tank)?

thanks

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What about just drilling a hole and using a bulk-head fitting with an O-ringed washer then you can bend and flare a tube to go down into the tank and use an 90 degree AN female fitting on the outside. You'd avoid welding or soldering.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is true, if you want a bigger tube you have to replace the old smaller tube. This will require welding or soldering.

·
Registered
729 Posts
On 2006-09-04 21:19, mikemustang289 wrote:
What about just drilling a hole and using a bulk-head fitting with an O-ringed washer then you can bend and flare a tube to go down into the tank and use an 90 degree AN female fitting on the outside. You'd avoid welding or soldering.
Because if I remember right there is no room for the bulkhead nut next to the sender inside the tank?

Edit: looks like there is plenty room.
I would be concerned about it coming loose though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67falconer on 9/5/06 12:24pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
The silver solder holds up really well. I have been doing this for years and I have never had one break. Silver solder is very strong and is what is used on high vibration refrigeration fittings, and it used to be used on automotive radiators, I think. There is no room on the pickup assembly for going with a bulkhead fitting. I have a TIG welder and a MIG, and I can pretty much weld anything to anything, but I still silver solder the pickup tubes in because the tubing and pickup assembly are very thin and will warp easily.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I ran a #8 aluminum tube for a pickup, flared it for a #8 bulkhead connector, and it works great. the best part about it is that you have a #8 AN male fitting right at the gas tank, no need for adapters or connectors or the like.

On mine, to solve the problem of the large bulkhead fitting, I just drilled out the hole for the sending unit terminal and put the fitting there. I then ran the sending unit wire up through the OLD fuel pickup and filled the tube with epoxy to encapsulate the wire and prevent leaks. This way the old pickup tube still supports the fuel level sending unit.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts