Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 351w out of a bronco of the same year. (going into a 1969 cougar with fmx and 2.75 rear gears) I would like to advance the timing with the new 3 way indexed timing chain set I purchased from summit (it is in the mail, I don't have it in hand yet).
I would like to install it 4* advanced to move my power bands down lower in the car. How do I install the set? I looked at the indexed gear and I am not sure how it works... each index point has its own slot, and it seems to me if I install the set, the new slot and mark would be in the same position as the 0* slot and mark (i.e. I wouldn't move the cam in relation to the crank either way of installing the set)... Do I put the gear on one of the odd marks and then turn the crank until the dot and the 0* mark line up? can someone help me out here?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
It should come with instructions that tells you which slot is what. You need to degree the cam to make sure where it is set.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
On the two gears there's 3 different marks, like a square, a triangle, and a circle. Make sure you line up the according marks to each other for the cam timing you want. You should really degree the cam properly though or it's a crapshoot.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Buy a degree wheel it will come with instructions and usually tell you the other tools you will need.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, heck guys, I don't need to do all that to advance the timing a tad. I read up on it and with the timing set I will be getting it makes no sense to dial it in, you either advance it or you don't, I don't need to confirm how the cam is phased in relation to the crank and all that at this point... I just need to install the set on a junkyard smog motor.In fact I looked at the set I ordered again today and it only advances the cam timing 2 degrees... so when I go to install the set with the cam advanced I simply put the sprocket on the crank and line up the advanced mark with the normal dot on the cam gear then?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Your cam is most likely already ground with 4 degrees advance so you need to check that. Advancing it more actually moves your power upwards and not down. Backing the cam timing down a degree will bring your power in a little sooner but it will quit sooner.

The marks on your cam gear should be documented as to which advances or retards. I wouldn't monkey with it. In most all cases the as ground 4 degrees advance is where it will run its best. If you have some issue there either its the wrong cam or you need more gear/tire or something else needs tending to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i understand what you're saying about slapping a fresh timing set on a used engine with a factory cam, but every timing set maker does not synchronize with each other to guarantee that the keys & dowel holes are in the same place @ zero. i took 3 timing sets and the alignment @ zero was different on all of them

w/o checking it's possible that a new timing set could be retarding or advancing your cam from factory by installing it in the zero position. it might end up that +2* is the same as the factory position... best you can do with what you got, or you could set up for +2* and really be getting +6* or more because of the manufacturing differences

variation in the location of the dowel hole in the cam sprocket is pretty hard to eyeball but the keyway to tooth relationship in the crank sprocket is easier. if you could center the cam sprockets up by the bolt holes and hold them indexed with a pin punch through the dowel holes, then compare the crank sprockets and their keyway/tooth relationships you might be a little ahead of just winging it

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pretty sure your backwards Hottarod....pretty sure...
Your cam is most likely already ground with 4 degrees advance so you need to check that. Advancing it more actually moves your power upwards and not down. Backing the cam timing down a degree will bring your power in a little sooner but it will quit sooner.

The marks on your cam gear should be documented as to which advances or retards. I wouldn't monkey with it. In most all cases the as ground 4 degrees advance is where it will run its best. If you have some issue there either its the wrong cam or you need more gear/tire or something else needs tending to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts