Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a disaster on my hands, '89 5.0, rescued from a barnyard. I got it home, but it dies on me constantly. I don't know a lot about cars, but i'm learning. Right now i have some type of short in the ignition system. The starter motor (which is brand new) runs when the ignition is in start, run, AND off position. This car had been stolen and hot wired, and it worked for about 5 days with the new starter before it had a problem. Where are the likely places for a short (in the ignition switch?), if it does sound like a short? Is it a better idea to haul it in to a shop or make an attempt at this problem myself?
Second, the car is an automatic, and overdrive does not work. Is there a better automatic transmission than the stock one? Is it possible to successfully switch to a manual from an auto (if i were to take it into a shop- Thats beyond my skill level!)
I realize these are not exactly tuning questions, but obviously i need some advice!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here is a place to start for reading on mods and stuff... also on this site.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jfclague/Mustang_Mods.htm#Drivetrain
Go back to home on this site and there is a bunch of stuff.
I had the starter switch go out on mine. Have to remove the steering wheel but its really simple if you have some tools and switch is not that expensive. I think first thing I'd check is the starter solonoid on the fender, where the battery cables connect. Tap on the solonoid with a screwdriver handle and listen for a spingy click, it could be stuck in the start position. If so, replace it, even simplier and cheaper than the starter switch. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts