Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to "86" my stock K-member in favor of a light weight chromemoly aftermarket version. I plan to run the stock a-arms and up grade the stock springs to eibochs. I want the member to maximize header, starter and steering shaft clearance as much as possible while retaining all of the stock dimensions. Did anyone have an extremely good experience with one the seeminly hundreds out there to choose from?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've got a QA1 (hal), in my 79. Love it. Loads of extra clearance, and built very nicely.
No complaints whatsoever. I think I got mine thru Jegs.
Highly recommend it.
My .002

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a hal on my 79 as well. I went with stock lower control arms to save some money on this money pit. In order to use the stock lower control arm you need to grind alot of material from the corners near the k-member. Just try to set them on the new K-member and you will see how much you need to grind.

Also check what kind of bushings you have in your steering rack, they might need to be changed. I'm not sure when ford swaped over but the K-members all use the newer design.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i picked up a hals k member also have not installed it yet just wondering if a stock manual rack will fit hals recommends a flaming river rack

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
My stock manual rack bolted right in, (using Hal's suggested replacement rack rubber bushings)..........Fits great!
I did however, have to lengthen my steering rod (from the rack to the u-joint), one inch.
Also, you might want to look into getting adjustable, (aftermarket), caster/camber plates.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got my HAL POS. I used the stock arms and had to put washer in there to make up the difference(I use motorsport replacement arms). Also the bolt holes down by the subframe were way off. The rack bushings had to be changed as well. It moves the rack forward ~1" so you will have to beat the steering shaft down a bit(its telescoping inside the steering column). But that didn't work for me since the #8 tube on my super comps wraps around the shaft and hit the knuckle.

Other than that the header clearance is good.
todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts