Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's what I've been doing...Bought a 74 f100, three days later I broke a rod and a piece of it got wedged between the crank and block (that was a "fun" engine pull). now I'm looking to rebuild it with the possibility of throwing it in my 66 mustang. This will be my first engine rebuild, so I am a little hesitant to spend the big bucks for big horses when it is a possibility that i screw it up and all that money gets wasted. this will be an "over-time" project (I'm still tearing it apart). If at all possible, I would like to get 400-500 horses. I would also like to at least have the option of running nitrous and/or a supercharger if i can find one to boost that 4 or 5 on race day. I am on a budget right now, but it will be done over time so I would be more than willing to put some cash away from each check to buy the performance parts that will last. Any tips and do's/dont's would be greatly appreciated. should I even be attempting to do a build with performance parts my first try?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
326 Posts
IMO what your looking for cant be done with a low budget and or by a newbe to engine building. you would be risking way to much money for a mistake. It takes 10 grand to build 500hp 390 from scratch ...

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
I've done enough research to know thats not true
Ford 390 FE - Car Craft Magazine
and getting a horse per cube isnt incredibly difficult either from what I've heard on this forum....so I figured 10 more wasnt a whole lot to ask for
rotating assembly is $2000 alone... edelbrock heads $1600 plus....intake..
$200-$500 machine work to block ..(hopefully its not cracked)
cam & lifters $200-$300...timing gear...$50-$200..
gasket set ...quality bolts..carb.. etc....etc...
your still talking easy $5000....and charger or nitrous and what not...numbers keep rising...
or do a basic rebuild and replace broken parts...etc..add a hotter cam...
your still ..probably be in for about $2000-$2500....

these motors are still freakin expensive to build..any way you look at it....:)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well your research is lacking real life ! I built one , I used the same guys as your link ! The numbers are BULL **** ! I had over $1,000 to get block ready, eddy heads are NOT 1,200 ect ect ect then start adding in shipping costs, and there not posting Header costs, then there also using stock 427 rocker shafts ? good luck having a set of them sitting on the back shelf or buying a used set for 3,4,5 hondo and rebuilding them. then you also better have some good friends with the tools your going to need or you will go broke buying them. And then dont think your going to romp out 500hp ! Nope you need to have someone port the heads and intake ! 10 grand ! yep you will spend 10 grand ....

you can shave money off that if you have a full shop, can port your own stuff correctly, have a good dizzy and ignition to reuse, have a good 750/850 double pumper on hand , already have headers ... but if your starting from scratch ....10 grand !

call barry at survival and ask him to quote a turn key 500hp fe455 ... 12-13 grand is my Bet .....

Thats REAL LIFE ... .....

·
Registered
326 Posts
And not to mention there running a VERY hot solid cam that most street guys wont like for normal driving.. and you have ZERO chance of running power brakes with it ..

Just stating the FACTS ...

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
And now you have to get it to fit in your Mustang.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I should go with a stock rebuild to test myself? any suggestions on a good rebuild kit that will give the highest hp/torque? I'll have to get the crankshaft to a machine shop to see if its still useable, is it worth getting work done on the heads?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
sell the 390 parts and get a 351W . fits with less work and can get that wanted hp easier.

thats what I'd do , your car & build and you did the research on the fe engine.. so you Know

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I am an FE guy and you'd think I'd push you to do it, but in this case no

- The 66 will take a ton of money and work to fit an FE
- If you want to hit a 500 hp number, you'll need to put some money into it, which really means alum headed stroker
- In the end, you have an awesome car, but a lot of dough in it

As discussed before, you build a 351 based motor, you can get 427 cubes for MUCH less money or work, use existing motor mounts, off the shelf headers and no real surprises

With that being said, a Mustang 2 front end, no shock towers, alum headed 445 FE with dual quads and a TKO-600 would make a hell of a statement, but it would also be a serious checkbook blow.

My signature below will show you I am a dyed in the wool FE guy, but you need to have a sturdy checkbook and willingness to use it :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I planned on the mustang II front end regardless of engine (I have a cracked shock tower), I've heard different thing on which kit to go with, any suggestions? anyone out there want to buy a 390? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts