Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told to pick up some AFR heads for my 87 mustang gt, I was wondering what are better for a stock 302 that plans to be built AFR 165's or AFR 185's, I am going to change the cam also when i change the heads. I was also wondering what the difference is between the non emissions regulation ones, as i have no regulations where i am if they run better, they may be the answer

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you're running stock pistons, the 185s could be a problem. P/V clearance with the 2.02 valve is the issue.

Performance wise, no difference between the emissions and the non-emissions. Same head with a few more holes for smog stuff.

·
Registered
991 Posts
the 185 allows you room to grow later on, the 165 will be great for low end, off-idle torque. Watch piston to valve issues with the new cam, the issue is not max valve lift, its the overlap period, have a read http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,57.0

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: woody1 on 6/12/06 10:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
the 185's will require you to cut the pistons for valve clearance. The stock pistons will not have clearance with the 2.02 valve. If you don't want to mess with flycutting then go with the 165's

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The 185's will be an issue with stock pistons.

I clearanced the valve relief with a die grinder while the engine was in the car. That was for a stock cam.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so if i put on 185's i am looking at a total rebuild, as in pistons should buy rods, etc, where as with 165's i only need the heads, you can see where i am going is the gain worth the work.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I know a guy who used to run 10.9's with the 165's and nitrous in a 93 cobra, So you can go pretty fast with them. If it's N/A and you plan on rebuilding the 185's aren't that much more expensive from what I have seen.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hmm, then again, I had to fly-cut my pistons with 351w -69 stock heads, flat-top pistons, on 351w... The cam is 280H magnum. The valve cut the clay with valve reliefs on piston...

So Check the clearence anyway you go. I´d say with stock intake etc, just go with 165. They are enough for 400+ hp

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You will be cam limited with the stock pistons.

How much is anybody's guess until the cam has been installed and checked.

Like I said in the above post, it can be done in the car.

Lay the peak of the eyebrow back and blend it in with a die grinder.

185's, stock cam/pistons, and an HP street turbo kit equal 9.70's pretty easy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the AFR165s and a Comp Cams Magnum 280, and it did require cutting the pistons for clearance. All indications said it would not be needed but measuring indicated it was needed.

I'm happy with the 165s so far, but I would have considered the 185s if I knew I'd have to flycut the pistons anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i am definately going to put on a new intake sometime, i was thinking about the performer II. I plan on upgrading a lot on this car, but i plan on keeping it all motor, niether a turbo or a supercharger will make it on the car. Someday when I amclose to done i though maybe a wet NOS system maybe, and any other go fast part i can find will at sometime find its way on the car. I don't know what to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts