Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's,

Ive been told there is a huge waiting list for AFR 185 heads, is this true?
Should I forget about them and just get my Edelbrock RPM 2.02 heads ported?
This is for my 391ci stroker engine. I have Victor 5.8 EFI intake and Comp Magnum hyd roller. 10.4:1 compression. I have adaptor plates to allow me to make custom 1 3/4" headers fit.

Cheers!
Pete.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Why not just spend the money to get your ports and chambers CNC machined by a reputable racing head service. The cost should be less than the new AFRs. Another good choice would be the new Victor Jrs.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I'd call AFR and see what the situation is... If it's more of a wait than you can handle, I'd buy the Vic Jr's before putting money into the RPM's. You've feeding 'big block' cubes through a small block cylinder head, and that 391 is going to want to breathe!

AFR's contact info should be available at the below address...

http://www.airflowresearch.com

Good Luck!

·
Registered
669 Posts
xr9ute..i know these people are not in your state but they do a lot of group nc race stuff in australia are highly recommend in nsw.call 02 45776099 rams head service....i recently had my heads worked on there, i had a street/race port on my windsor snr alloy's and they flowed 309cfm at 0.700lift,maybe they could advise you of what would best suit your engine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ta guy's,

I'd have to get the heads hand ported or do them myself. The only place that nc ports anything here in Western Australia is Kostecki engine centre and they are about as useless as tits on a bull! They advertise that they do the nc porting and even list the Edelbrock heads as one they do but when you call them they say; "we don't do Edelbrocks coz there no good" translated that means...."We won't do them because we're no good". The only ones they do are Canfields! for $5500!!! The problem with them and most other nc ported heads is they seem to be hogged out for maximum airflow with very little thought for low lift flow and porty velocity. What's the point of 300cfm at 700 thou with a camshaft that won't lift higher than .533"?
Victor Jnrs tend to be a bit light on, on low lift flow also. AFR 185's are a known quantity and very inexpensive in the scheme of things.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, Ive been informed of a place called JD's performance and he says 2 weeks is all I need to wait.Maybe I'll give Rams head service a call too.

Cheers!
Pete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts