Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of AFR 185 heads mounted atop my 331 Stroker in a 64 Falcon Sprint. The engine has been resting in the bay for some time now as I complete the final connections with wiring ect. I had ordered a set of ceramic coated Doug Thorley Tri'y's and am quite happy with the quality and the fitment. These headers have a thick 3/8 mounting flange and require a 1" header bolt.
Now here is the problem; the 1" header bolts are too long. They will not bottom out on the flange by about a 1/16. (Yes I have a gasket in place) The 3/4 bolts are too short and would only grab about 1/4 of thread in the head and I fear using them.
I have called AFR and got nowhere with them, they advised me to take a bottom tap and work all of the bolt holes in the head. Easier said then done since the engine is already in the car. Falcon and Mustang shock towers do not leave a lot of room for tapping. The tech said guys do it all the time. I told him he was full of crap and their should have been a disclosure in the packaging that warned against this before I had gotten this far along. I was told that it did not happen enough for them to go through the extra effort. Well, we did not end on a happy note.
So my options are
1) tapping the heads (not going to happen)
2) grinding the header bolts (AFR's suggestion, also not going to happen)
3) using a set of header bolt lock washers
4) kick the header bolts to the curb and use header studs.
Any suggestions or comments, anyone run into this problem before or am I special?
Thanks guys,
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
343 Posts
Grinding them is the easy way to me. Since you already ruled out 2 of the options and seem to really be asking about washers or studs, I would say studs. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
One more suggestion:

Since the headers are off of the engine, how about countersinking the bolt holes by a 16th?

Just a thought.

Murff

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I think grinding might be the easy way out, I did not want to take a chance on bumming the threads.
Thanks for the link Jim, hell I thought they only came in the two sizes?
Murff, the headers are tacked on to the heads in the engine compartment so that is not an option. Also I can not get a tap between the heads and the shock towers.
Ras Daniel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts