Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rethinking about mt new combo on my 402w street car 69mach1, wondering if im better off with the 185s for good low and mid range? i see they milled them down to 54cc on the ford 392 crate motor and got 530hp just what i need, i know i got a big in'' motor but ill use this car for mostly street and like the mid range that the 185s will give me, my roush heads were good also down at 2500 to 4500 rpms, i sure if i ever take it down the track it would be ok, i dont know really what to do, im sure the 205s would fit the bill but are they going to ok for driving around town? any help on this before i order these new heads. thanks.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 205s being too big.......with the cubes and stroke you're running you'll still have plenty of street grunt.

What cam?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok the 205s look good, thinking of a solid roller also from comp or someone else, what about those canfield heads which int port would work? are the 192s to small or go with the 215cc heads? either AFR or canfields?? XE-280R or 286R from comp with good street lifter or just stay with the HR cam which i have now, pros and cons of either. thanks again.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
200cc heads are not "Large" by any means... they are more in the "Medium" range. Heck I have 180cc Windsor Jr. heads on my little 289, and they were the 'smaller' choice vs. the 200cc Windsors. If you were going cheaper and looking at iron heads, you wouldn't even consider stepping down to a 180cc Windsor Jr. vs. the 200cc Windsor. The port velocity (which makes torque) will be just as good on an AFR 205 as it would be on an iron Windsor 200cc, and on top of that the AFR will make more power through the whole torque curve because of it's higher flow capacity. I'd definitely stick with the 205's for something like you've got that's over 400cubes and looking for 500+hp.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
205's are not too big for a windsor. Like motorhead I have 180cc heads on my little 302 and it makes great low end power.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Don't fail to call AFR on this. The general consensus is that the 205's are just fine. Remember, the 351C 4V had 230+ cc heads and mine would boil the tires through 1st, 2nd. And those heads are supposed to not have any torque.

My current 418W has 205's and it makes TOO much torque for the street and that's with a baby cam 288/292 adv duration; c6; single plane; 3.50 gears.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Plenty of inches and stroke for the 205

1 - 14 of 14 Posts