Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am building a 347 stroker based on an 86 302W block. I want AFR heads but am confused to say the least. I have read everything on the forum regarding 165 and 185 but I am still not sure what is best for my build. Can someone try and advise.
The car is a Cobra Replica and will be used mainly on the street. I can't see me tearing around at 6000rpm but I do want low down grunt off the line. Would the 165 suit. If the 185 would be better, would I lose some low down grunt?
Advice desperately need as I want to order them soon.

Thanks guys

advice always appreciated

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I run 185 on my 331 and its got lots of low end and top end. I would go with the 185.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My little 347 made 460HP and 440TQ with a mild cam, Air Gap intake and AFR 185 heads and only 9.4 to 1 compression. You will not lose any power down low. You will have a hard time hooking up.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Are you stuck on stock AFR? It's a good all-around head, but there are moderately-priced 185 heads available that will out-flow even AFR 205s. Likewise, there are other 165 heads that will flow the same or more than an AFR 185. Best of both worlds. You sound like my cruiser build, where I'm running "185s" on a street 427W, but these 185s nearly flow as much as AFR225s. Numbers can be deceiving. Do you have a budget to plan from?

David

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Sounds excellent but not sure what you mean by hooking up? (sorry I'm English!!!)

Martin
it's a expression for getting traction

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
it's a expression for getting traction
Hmmm... it usually means good traction, but looking in the thesaurus, hooking up can also mean socializing, intimacy or sexual relations. It's entirely possible that after spending all the money for a stroker, you won't get any from your upset significant other. So, I'll say he could have meant traction.
:D
David

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm... it usually means good traction, but looking in the thesaurus, hooking up can also mean socializing, intimacy or sexual relations. It's entirely possible that after spending all the money for a stroker, you won't get any from your upset significant other. So, I'll say he could have meant traction.
:D
David
Ha Ha Ha

Fortunately my "significant other" is a "Petrol Head" and is as excited as I am about the new engine!!

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Just ordered some!! Thanks for all the advice

Martin
Did you get the ones with the pedestal or stud mounted rockers? Mine are the pedestal style. I bought mine on eBay from a private party for $1,100 shipped to my front door. They were brand new in the box and happened to be that style, but I'd probably would have ordered those anyway. I'm not much for valve adjusting so a simple bolt on rocker worked better for me. You won't be disappointed!

What's the rest of the build plan look like as far as cam, intake, carb etc.?

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you get the ones with the pedestal or stud mounted rockers? Mine are the pedestal style. I bought mine on eBay from a private party for $1,100 shipped to my front door. They were brand new in the box and happened to be that style, but I'd probably would have ordered those anyway. I'm not much for valve adjusting so a simple bolt on rocker worked better for me. You won't be disappointed!

What's the rest of the build plan look like as far as cam, intake, carb etc.?

John
Hi John

Got to be honest about the heads, I'm not sure. I have ordered them through the engine builder that is balancing my rotating assembly.

Carb will be a Holley 670cfm "Street Avenger". Cam will be a Lunati Voodoo 272/280 (20350711), Crank is a Scat 9000 series 3.400 and i am fitting Keith Black hypereutectic pistons.

Remember this is predomenantly a street car, with the odd track day, and I am hoping for (and will be happy with) 450 bhp.
This engine is going into a Cobra Replica that weighs nothing!!

Thanks for the interest

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm surprised your builder didn't mention that they offer different styles. Is he going to assemble the motor for you? If so is he also installing the rocker arms, push rods, etc?

As far as your HP expectation goes you should be in that range with that build plan depending on a couple of things. What's the compression ratio going to be? Also, what intake are you going to use?

I would suggest a bigger carb though, especially with a car that light. My 347 is similar to what you're building and makes around 450 HP, probably more I've been told. I'm running a Proform 750 DP (mechanical secondaries) and it works great. My car weighed in at 3050 lbs. with a full tank so it's no heavy weight either.

I assume you're going to run a manual transmission in this car too.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm surprised your builder didn't mention that they offer different styles. Is he going to assemble the motor for you? If so is he also installing the rocker arms, push rods, etc?

As far as your HP expectation goes you should be in that range with that build plan depending on a couple of things. What's the compression ratio going to be? Also, what intake are you going to use?

I would suggest a bigger carb though, especially with a car that light. My 347 is similar to what you're building and makes around 450 HP, probably more I've been told. I'm running a Proform 750 DP (mechanical secondaries) and it works great. My car weighed in at 3050 lbs. with a full tank so it's no heavy weight either.

I assume you're going to run a manual transmission in this car too.

John
Hi John

I'm building everything. He is just supplying me the cleaned, rebored and honed block (86 302W). He has balanced all the rotating assembly for me but rockers etc etc I will do myself. The AFR heads are difficult to get in the UK so he has got me them through his US supplier. I'm expecting the C/R to be aproximatly 10.4.
I intend running a manual transmission. Tremec TKO 600. I looked at the 500 but the ratio of the 600 will fit my application a lot better.
The carb is open to discussion and I will see how the 670 works. If its not enough I can swap it.
Really excited because the block and engine parts are ready for collection, but unfortunately I have to go work in Spain for the next week, so it will be another week before I can pick everything up!
One question you could answer me John , is what colour I paint the block. I seem to be leaning towards Ford Corporate Blue. Is that the right colour do you think for what I want to look like a 65/66 engine in my Cobra?

Cheers

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm not sure what the correct Ford color would be on that car. It could be Blue, Gold or even Black for that matter. I'm not a restoration expert by any means. My block came painted black so I left it alone. In my car the only part that's really even visable is the top of the timing cover. With everything bolted on the block being aluminum it's hardly visable.

I'm sure they're lots of people here that can tell you the correct answer, I'm just not one of them. Sorry.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not sure what the correct Ford color would be on that car. It could be Blue, Gold or even Black for that matter. I'm not a restoration expert by any means. My block came painted black so I left it alone. In my car the only part that's really even visable is the top of the timing cover. With everything bolted on the block being aluminum it's hardly visable.

I'm sure they're lots of people here that can tell you the correct answer, I'm just not one of them. Sorry.

John
Hi John

I'm really just looking for a Ford color which would compliment a 1965 look. Obviously the car is a Replica, but I want it to look "original" especially the engine bay.
Here's a picture of my car. I currently have a 3.5 litre (215ci) Rover engine from Rover SD1. This engine is esentially based on an early Buick. Its nice and "Revvy" and also fun, but there is no "real" power and its not a Ford!!!

Cheers

Martin

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts