Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ma now considering putting on AFR heads on my future 392, although i already have Edelbrocks i might put them onto the 302 that will come out of my 68 Falcon when the 392 goes in, my question is are AFRs better and if so which one to buy 165,185 or 205

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
From reading all of the previous post on questions like this, I would say the 205s. They are pretty expensive though. You might also want to consider Vic Jr. heads, they cost alot less and have much more potential. I think there is a used pair in the classifieds on this page, or there was a month ago.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You'll get lots of different answers/ideas from everyone you ask. My .002. Call the different companies, (i.e. Edelbrock/AFR/etc, etc), and tell them (or e-mail them with your specs/intentions/intended usage, etc), and have them give you ideas/prices/options.
Personally, (knowing they work), would say AFR, but I'm kinda biased right now.
I'd also probably say have Ed Curtis 'do 'em up for you' but again, I"m very strongly biased that direction as of now.
Again, it all depends on your intended usage, rpm range, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I bought, after a lot of consideration, a set of AFR 185 heads. I wanted to have 205s but AFR told me I´ll loose low end torque and that the power buildup will start at around 3000 rpm with those in a 393.
These 185 s look very good, flow around 185 cfm exhaust and 280 intake at .500.
Remember Ford crate made 537 horses with 185s. My Dyno 2000 says between 525-565 horses and more than 450 ft.lbs at 2000 rpm!

I also consulted AFR about porting their 185s and they advised not to touch the intakes in a street motor.I polished the exhausts with a cartridge roll and changed the valvesprings to CC 987s( CC 282 XE HR cam), also needed to change the valve seals to smaller dia teflon ones due to interference with the inner spring.

·
Registered
749 Posts
remember on the ford crate motor that went 537 hp when switching from gt40X's to the 185
s. The 185's had been milled to 54 cc chambers vs the stock 64 cc chamber gt40x's.
So the hp increase wasnt just the diff in the flow of the heads. 10 cc reduction in chamber size is a pretty good increase in compression. They call them a 75 hp bolt on but no way they would there be 75 hp diff if they both had 64 cc chambers.

·
Registered
739 Posts
In that application the difference was one point of compression. A 393 with 54cc heads and a 20cc dish piston will have 10.77:1 while the 64cc would yield 9.71:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
how does the WP Sr. heads rate

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hell Yeh, lets see a no bullshit comparison, with both heads tested box stock, without any tricks, or arent they good enough

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I had a set of iron GT 40 heads until last summer in my Futura. I havent got my engine running yet but I can tell you the difference between these two can be seen by naked eye and it is easy to see the difference, even I had smoothed out the GT 40s ports.The intake port in the 185s looks particularly good, one could say they look sexy!
I believe those aluminum GT 40x heads are a bit different compared to my old, circa 1994 iron castings though.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Hey ville, since my wife and I go thru Helsinki International air port twice a year on our way to Latvia where my wife's family is, I think we should hook up for a half day or full day and let me check out your Fairmont(I have a '78 wagon that had a 393 stroker in it but wife kept burning tires off and racing everybody anywhere/any time so I put a 302 in it because it was her car). I can't imagine a car like that in that area of eastern Europe. You must have no competition on the street and pretty much the quickest wherever you go(unless in the presence of another muscle car). I think that would be pretty neet to meet half way around the world with the same interrests. Let me know if you want to meet...

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Yes, definitely if the timetables and other things match! Helsinki is only 2 hours from Tampere where I live. Let me know when you´re here next time. If the time / dates have not been set yet we would propably be able to set something up. For example every first friday of the month from may to september there´s a cruisenight( hundreds of cars)in Helsinki and you will find races etc. the whole summertime(may-september).
This hobby is surprisingly popular here in Finland, as well as in other scandinavian countries, especially Sweden.
My Futura´s 393 stroker is waiting to be assembled, I have all the parts already but my free time is the limiting factor at the moment.I quess I´ll have it back on the road around mid may.
My email address: [email protected]

You´re welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Yes, definitely if the timetables and other things match! Helsinki is only 2 hours from Tampere where I live. Let me know when you´re here next time. If the time / dates have not been set yet we would propably be able to set something up. For example every first friday of the month from may to september there´s a cruisenight( hundreds of cars)in Helsinki and you will find races etc. the whole summertime(may-september).
This hobby is surprisingly popular here in Finland, as well as in other scandinavian countries, especially Sweden.
My Futura´s 393 stroker is waiting to be assembled, I have all the parts already but my free time is the limiting factor at the moment.I quess I´ll have it back on the road around mid may.
My email address: [email protected]

You´re welcome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts