Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might know of my dad's '48 coupe with the genuine bucket seats and no other interior. I had made seat covers for his front seat as a surprise birthday gift last year using measurements from people on the internet and finding only two 46-48 coupes in person to measure, one with custom seats but the bones were the originals and sadly the man who let me inspect his seats in his Merc passed away a few months ago. They fit really well for not having anything to try them out on.

I told him last year that he needed to get it on the road and join me at the cruise in Junction City Oregon this year. I didn't know if he really would or not, even though he did say that sounded good. You know parents!! :) I was surprised by a text from my niece saying grandpa drove the car up the mountain side the Alsea falls where they were camping this weekend. She said he was a happy camper and grinning ear to ear. Had the seats in the car (I did the back one later on) and even a new 'gas tank'. He graduated from a gallon bleach bottle to a 6 gallon gas can. Even has a temporary tag til he gets the new plates for it.

It might not seem like it's that big of deal but this is the first time this car has been legal in over 40 yrs!! First time it's had seats in 30+ yrs even. He painted it back then and never put the interior back in it or get interior made for it. He would fire it up ever couple years or so and drive it to the local tavern then back home again where it would sit til when ever next time came. Before it was painted it sat out in the pasture where my sis and i thought it made a great place to sit... right up on the roof of course!

Called him today and he was working on finding some wipers to put on it as he has no idea where the originals went to so he had to rob a motorhome he has for a set. Making a vent for the "gas tank" so the trunk is vented as he wants to set the battery in the trunk. It's a 6 volt system still but he uses a 12 volt to get it started then it runs on a no good 6v battery. Got the rear window put in using a 2x2 and c-clamps somehow. The wire trick didn't work because the rubber seal is rotten. He said he'll pick a new one up one day at a swap meet. He's a busy little bee so i must of finally got the fire lit under his behind!! lol

June 1st is the Function 4 Junction car show and cruise. The show lasts til 4 i think it is and then the town is blocked off and the cruising around is from 6-9. Had a blast last year with my niece and her husband that joined me with their cars.

Here's a couple pics to refresh your memories or for those that don't know what i'm talking about. :) These were taken in '09 when i had called before going down there and told my dad to toss another bucket in it as i couldn't remember ever riding in it. I guess we did when he first got it. I was probably 7 yrs old. Too long ago to remember. His nephew came up to visit at the same time from CA with his girl friend so there was a bunch of us. He gave us all rides to the tavern and back. Sounded like a bunch of darn kids laughing and being silly. Of course a couple cold ones helped too! The great grandkids weren't to sure bout riding in grandpa's car though!
The dark pic is after i got back from the cruise we had my dad and step mom change into their bucket seat cover jeans i made as a gag gift. The dirty coupe pic is where it usually sits and waits, that was in '07, he washed it and started covering it finally.

There is a website for the show and cruise. www.function4junction.com

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, was going to ask if he was able to send one but figured he didn't know how. They or my stepmom just learned to text. But after doing some searches etc i think i figured it out and is what you had mentioned. It's to reduce the voltage to the points from 6 to 3 or 4 so it doesn't burn up the points. It goes from the ignition to the coil. So he decided not to bother with it for now.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Headed to the big city of Alpine in the morning! Shotrod is packed and gassed up and ready to roll! Chickened out and put the top up this time. If i hit portland and the suns out i'll put it back down. Guess i won't be freezing the first part of the way. Don't worry bout getting wet a whole lot as that only happens when i have to slow down or stop but have computer goodies in the back seat sooooo...

Hope to get a lot of pics!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts