Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occured to me yesterday when I was tearing down my 351 shortblock that the entire engine other than the block will be all aftermarket parts once its finished....Who would have thought even 5 years ago that the average hotrodder could afford to build such an animal..Hell for a couple of thousand more you can buy an aftermarket block and not have any original parts at all

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Making it harder to say No anymore. People have gone the crate engine way and saved the numbers matching stuff for later. Unless it came from a builder that I trusted or others gave good ratings to, I'd still tear it apart and check it myself.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
He's not using a crate engine, he's building an aftermarket based stroker. Pistons, rods, crank, heads, rockers, cam, lifters, pushrods, EVERYTHING is aftermarket. Other than the block, none of it has FORD cast or stamped into it. And as you said....an aftermarket block would finish the deal.

That's the only way I can justify the power in my dad's Brand X race car =p. There is NOTHING original Chevy about the car, not a thing. Tube chassis, aftermarket tubular suspension, sheet aluminum body panels, aftermarket steering, braking, wheels, tires...Dart block, Calies crank, Crower rods, J&E pistons, Dart/olds heads and intake, etc etc. 950hp and 8500-9000rpm to boot. Anymore, factory parts just aren't in it!

Cris

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The point is ... Ford and other brands are finally getting some recognition. Instead of the One-size fits all mentality that has existed for parts manufactuers (it was like there was only one engine worh useing in competion), if they did make anything for other brands - there was an additional cost, markup or availablity to deal with.

there are a lot more players in the game now, which means they can afford to ramp up production on specialty parts of more brands, more engines.

Muscle car mania has helped a lot too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts