Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installing dual aftermarket fans in my son's 94 GT. Both fans come with a red and a black...hot and a ground of course.

The original fan had three wires coming from the CCRM (constant control relay module).

The EDF relay controls the fan with a Red/orange wire while the HEDF relay controls it with an Orange/Lt Blue wire.

My understanding is that the EDF is the low speed fan and the HEDF is the high speed relay.

The original mustang fan was of a two speed design, if i understand it correctly which was fed voltage via these two wires at different locations in the windings of the motor..thus the two speeds.

The aftermarket flexalite fans are only of the single speed design.

I did a google check and i see that one person suggested putting both the wires together from both relays and then sodering them to the red wires. Black would then go to black of course.

Has anyone run across this before?? thanks...John

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
How you wire it depends on what you want from it. You can wire it to run both fans starting at the lower temp, both staring only at higher temp, or one at low temp and both at high, etc. I would base this mostly on if you are using a different temp thermostat. What is it you want to do?

David

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If i understand you correctly, you want to be able to use both low & high speeds.
There is a simple solution, if this helps, a Varible speed controller(VSC).
I used the new VSC from Flexalite, you simply wire it to the high speed wire only. The controller turns the fan(s) on, to approx. 30% & only ramps it up higher if engine temp. requires it to do so. The "slow start" feature,as Flexalite calls it, avoids the hard hit to your electrical system for one, & in my case, its only ramped my fan up to 100% on a few really hot days. The controller has a small adjuster on it, you simply turn it to set the temp at which you want your fans to kick in, i'm set at 180 degrees & so far the gauge has never read higher than 182.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts