Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Aftermarket radio ideas

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  psivory 
#1 ·
Driving my '67 daily now (moved to a warmer climate). I don't need to put anything in place of the AM radio in the dash...unless someone makes a nice aftermarket radio that looks factory? I haven't seen any for the '67.

Looking for ideas for how others have installed aftermarket radios/systems in their Galaxies that have left the factory radio in place.

I need some tunes!

#4 ·
I hid mine in the glove box. The original AM still works and I don't want to cut the dash up. I used two small angle brackets (like you would get a a hardware store for, say, putting a cabinet together) and fastened them to the radio and to a wooden plate in my glove box. It isn't real pretty, but with the glove box closed, you can't see it anyway.

#5 ·
I installed a pioneer super tuner FM 8 track under dash mount radio in my country squire,they are getting expensive on ebay but under dash mount kits for modern radios are available. I put a modern stereo in the dash in my 65 custom 500 in place of the original AM radio,it took a little modifing but works and looks decent. Jeff

#8 ·
I plan to install mine in the under dash a/c ( the a/c dosnt work) I am going to gut the unit and fabricate a hinge/lock for it.
You can also go down to a car stero shop and buy an under dash stero box. ( ebay has them too ) it is a black abs and lets you install your radio with out cutting your dash

#14 ·
Newer decks that have remote need line of sight. We put a Sony in out 68 Charger glove box about 6 years ago and at that time only Sony was building a CD tuner with a wired remote.

#15 ·
I think Secret Audio has a newer one that does not need line of site to operate. I can control mine from 20+ feet away.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 3/1/06 1:02am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 3/1/06 1:21am ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.