Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 mustang that I am going through the suspension on. So far I have put on a negitive wedge kit, boxed the control arms, put on polyurethane bushings and also added a rack and pinion steering kit. Are the aftermarked strut rods worth it? or do the stok ones do an ok job? Are there any other things that I should consier for superior handling?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
"They" say that you should get aftermarket strut rods with poly bushings because of the brittleness of the stock units.

I didn't, and it hasn't broken after about 6,000 miles, on none too forgiving roads.

You might consider a larger swaybar, maybe 1", adjustable shocks, and a quicker ratio steering box.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I forgot to mention both that I have a 1 inch sway bar and some good shocks on there. Would a 1 1/8 bar be better. THe car alrealdy has 620 lb. springs and a pretty stiff ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Upgrading to street or track or global west strut rods is a very good update. Poly bushings on the stock rods will work for a time, but they can and have failed at any time, often with no so good results.
Another very good upgrade is roller spring perches, it is amazing the difference in ride quality and suspension performance. Check out www.opentrackerracingproducts.com.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have you considered the adjustable strut rods? They move more freely and don't bind. Also, with the negative wedge, how much did you lower the upper arms? With a neg wedge I believe you can go as much as 1 3/4" but most guys go 1".
Wheel alignment:
0 to -.5 degrees of Camber.
1/16 to 1/8" toe in.
+1.5 to +3 degrees of Caster.
I also understand the roller spring perches help out too.

·
Registered
634 Posts
DO NOT use polyurethane strut rod bushings on the stock
strut rods. You will snap the strut rod. It may not happen
today or tomorrow but it will happen eventually.
By the way, your stock '67 rods are adjustable for caster.
The only advantage of the aftermarket units will be strength
and a much more solid mounting where they interface with
the uni-body. Strength is always a plus but the solid mounting
point is really only a plus on a race car. The stock strut rods
with a Moog steel-lined bushing is all you'll need unless your
goal is the track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts