Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You can modify your air cleaner base for more under-hood clearance (perhaps 7/16"), even if it has a drop base. I cut the inner ring that rests on top of the carb horn, this lets the base sit flat.

Then I needed to make room for the fuel adjusting nuts. I added (I brazed mine, but Silver Solder or JBweld might work) pieces of 1" conduit and then capped them. The all important carb base to top distance remains the same.

That's all there is to it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Nice job. The carb vent tubes look like they would be hitting or pretty close to the bottom of the air filter lid though.

·
Registered
743 Posts
how far off the carb does the air cleaner top sit? It lo0ks like its barely off the top of the carb, you worried about lack of airflow at all?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the top does sit closer to the venturis, although the closest point is still at least 1 1/4" with my selection of parts. Should this be a concern, there are aftermarket tops that have more of a raised bubble in them and would give more carb to base clearance. They should work fine since the main interference with the hood is normally at the outer edges of the filter top.

This setup works for getting more hood clearance, although it may not be the optimal solution for all out drags in all situations. When at the races, I normally remove the whole air filter assembly during the runs. Irregardless, I have found no perceptible differences in the time slips whether the filter was on or off. My filter is the 14" variety--try this with a 9" filter and there should certainly be a difference.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Will It Fit This Fuel Injector

Hey Dennis111

Do you this this or your custom air filter will fit this one ?

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks

You can modify your air cleaner base for more under-hood clearance (perhaps 7/16"), even if it has a drop base. I cut the inner ring that rests on top of the carb horn, this lets the base sit flat.

Then I needed to make room for the fuel adjusting nuts. I added (I brazed mine, but Silver Solder or JBweld might work) pieces of 1" conduit and then capped them. The all important carb base to top distance remains the same.

That's all there is to it!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: Will It Fit This Fuel Injector

One more modified base picture for this thread.
I'm thinking of taking this one step further by dropping the outer 1" perimeter by 1" so I can run a 3" oval cobra air filter with a Vic. Jr. intake.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Will It Fit This Fuel Injector

One more modified base picture for this thread.
I'm thinking of taking this one step further by dropping the outer 1" perimeter by 1" so I can run a 3" oval cobra air filter with a Vic. Jr. intake.
Now that is a cool mod--me likey!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts