Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate the air cleaner I'm running and was wondering what every one else is running. The choices are soooo limited so i'd like to see some photos of some cool stuff, and stock stuff too.

What are you running?

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
mustang at car show.jpg Thats my air cleaner, Its a Moroso, has a formed bubble top and bottom. Made 6 hp more then all the others we tested and 17 more hp then those crap flow top cleaners.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Here's mine. It's a Spectre Muscle Car cold air system in the "Low Profile 120 degree dual inlets". They make several styles to fit just about any application out there.

I think it's a very well made system. Polished & chrome plated aluminum air box and all of the necessary stuff to build a nice ram/cold air intake system. It was around $140.00 including the pre-oiled 13" gauze (K&N type) filter inside the box. I ended up using my air cleaner base since I liked the flat base over their dropped base but that was purely preference and not really needed. Although, I think my set-up seals better than theirs did.

They claim really big HP improvements (+/- 40 HP in my case) but I have no way to back that up other than my butt dyno. It tells me they're probably not exaggerating much - I really feel an improvement! :tup: They get those numbers by some calculation of existing HP and then an intake air temperature reduction (denser/cooler air makes more power). Makes sense to me especially when you consider the under hood temps compared to ambient outside air being waaaay cooler. Whatever, it looks cool too! :D

John

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's mine. It's a Spectre Muscle Car cold air system in the "Low Profile 120 degree dual inlets". They make several styles to fit just about any application out there.

I think it's a very well made system. Polished & chrome plated aluminum air box and all of the necessary stuff to build a nice ram/cold air intake system. It was around $140.00 including the pre-oiled 13" gauze (K&N type) filter inside the box. I ended up using my air cleaner base since I liked the flat base over their dropped base but that was purely preference and not really needed. Although, I think my set-up seals better than theirs did.

They claim really big HP improvements (+/- 40 HP in my case) but I have no way to back that up other than my butt dyno. It tells me they're probably not exaggerating much - I really feel an improvement! :tup: They get those numbers by some calculation of existing HP and then an intake air temperature reduction (denser/cooler air makes more power). Makes sense to me especially when you consider the under hood temps compared to ambient outside air being waaaay cooler. Whatever, it looks cool too! :D

John
I really like this system. I wonder if it would clear my monte carlo bar with the low base?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts

John
That's the one I have on my '64 Gal except the inlets are on the side right across from each other. One hose hits the brake fluid resevoir because the power brake booster places it too far out. I have 4 wheel discs so I will be removing the pb booster and moving the reservoir back. Glad to hear it makes a difference. I got mine from Jegs on sale a year and half ago for $99, couldn't pass it up. They're $199 now.:eek:

·
Registered
440 Posts
haha the table is cleaned off now and the intake setup is my dining room tables center peice until i need it to install the motor

·
Registered
743 Posts
Simple, but effective. I had a K&N filter top, love the looks, but it really messed up my EFI setup, AFR's were all over the place with it. Put the solid top back on and everything went back to normal.

Might block the bottom of it off so no air flows through it, but I can still use it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is a home made "Ram Air" system in my 1968 Falcon (351W, Edelbrock RPM Intake, & a 600 cfm Holley 4V).

I used a 1984/1985 Mustang dual-snout air cleaner, trimmed the snouts back to 3", used 2 each air intake hoses from early 1990's Dodge Dakota, connected to home made inlets connected to the lower radiator support.

Approx total cost: $60-$75.

Functions nicely, you can feel the air current going into the intake hoses, even @ idle. Horsepower increase is unknown.

TJ in GB

Attachments

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I am running a ford racing oval air cleaner..It wouldn't be my first choice as far as sex appeal but I am very tight to the hood and this air cleaner fits nicely up into my scoop...

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I really like this system. I wonder if it would clear my monte carlo bar with the low base?
That's doubtful since it sits fairly high and forward of the shock towers. The 180 degree inlet wouldn't clear mine even with the modifications I've done in that area.

They make these in standard style and low profile as well as several inlet angles and a custom one where only one hole is cut so you pick the other location and they weld it on giving you almost unlimited angles and locations. They'll even chrome or polish it afterwards or you can paint, powder coat, etc. :tup:

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts