Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I've got this new York air conditioning compressor on my 63 and it does a good job and blows cold air really well. But, at idle and slow speeds you can hear this pump making noises like it's putting an extreme load on the belt and the compressor might want to lock up. I know it sucks the engine idle down. I'm running one belt on it. My questions are.
1. What do you think the noise actually is ( or do york compressors just make that noise inside like it's in a strain while pumping)
2. Although I can't see the belt slipping would two belts fix the problem. The clutch has provisions for two belts but my crank and setup can't run two belts. ( I've never ran a york compressor before)
I was hoping I might find someone with a york compressor on their car to tell me how theirs behaves at low speeds or idle.
( I realize newer systems are better etc. I chose this setup.)

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy, I haven't heard a Your running in 10 years. But they do like about 900-1100 RPMs when they're engaged I remember that.

The A/C idle solenoid should take care of that.

Do you have one on your carb?
No I don't. But, if they had one for that purpose I can sure get one. Jim PS Thanks, that's something to consider.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
slight overcharge can make it noisy too. bubble meathod in the sight glass is unreliable. use a gauge set to ensure proper pressures. 2 belts is a good idea with reciprocating compressors

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
An old time Ford mechanic/now rebuilder heard my York doing the same thing. Said don't worry about it, they can last a long time making that racket.

Still, let us know if you fix it. For low bucks I wouldn't mind some silence under there.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Make sure you have correct width belt.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Went to hanger, threw the gauges on it and I was reading 15/140 with the dryer sight glass blowing bubbles. I pulled it all out and evacuated the system for about 30min. It held 28" for over 5min when done so I filled it back up to 33/175 @ 1000rpm (about 75 degrees and high humitity) with three cans of R12. At 1500 rpm the low pressure gauge comes down to 30. It WILL put out freezing air now. The evaporator face is dripping water big time. Noise is constant now and a whole lot of decibels quieter. It isn't jerking the motor and belt the way it was before. I think I just had air in it from being in a hurry filling it about 12 months ago. Anyway I'm more pleased. The rpm doesn't go down that much now. I think an A/C solenoid won't be needed now. You can't hear it at all when at slow cruise speed now. Jim PS. If anyone has experience with filling R12 A/C systems chime in. I just know enough to be dangerous.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
slight overcharge can make it noisy too. bubble meathod in the sight glass is unreliable. use a gauge set to ensure proper pressures. ...
+1. All custom systems should be set-up with a gauge set, and proper pressures set using evaporator temperature tests (not vent tests). A good tech can set with vent temps, creeping the pressures, but evap probe tests are preferred if possible. There are many coolants out there these days, each with different attributes that just setting pressures to general numbers on the can won't cover. Older R12-design systems can freeze you out of the car on a Summer day, and without stressing the system or causing evap icing - but it has to be set up right.

How was yours set up?

David

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Is the belt tight enough? Is it the factory system that the compressior runs off of the water pump?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is the belt tight enough? Is it the factory system that the compressior runs off of the water pump?
I've got a 3 belt crank pully and one belt goes to the power steering pump, one belt goes to the water pump and alternator and one belt goes to the A/C compressior, it also has a idler on that belt.
It's a comgloberation from different vehicles. The A/C belt has a long span from the compressor to the crank on the left side and the same span on the right side with an idler half way down.
It seems to be working OK with no belt slippage. I think the air in the system was causing the jerking I was seeing and hearing. The belt is tight on it also. The york compressor just makes more noise at slower rpm than what I thought it should. Jim PS How do you get notified there is a post to the thread you have posted on. I've got the instant email notification at the bottom of the page turned on but it isn't working. I probably have people pissed at me for not answering comments. I've got to remember every thing I posted to and then remember to go look up the whole thing again.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
How do you get notified there is a post to the thread you have posted on. I've got the instant email notification at the bottom of the page turned on but it isn't working. I probably have people pissed at me for not answering comments. I've got to remember every thing I posted to and then remember to go look up the whole thing again.
Ah - I thought I was alone! Click "Contact Us" at the top of the page and let them know. I guess we need to start a thread on it too.

David

PS: I've had no notifications since 5/1. Look at your account for watched threads to see if there are replies in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah - I thought I was alone! Click "Contact Us" at the top of the page and let them know. I guess we need to start a thread on it too.

David

PS: I've had no notifications since 5/1. Look at your account for watched threads to see if there are replies in the meantime.
Philip sent me an email and said tha comcast.net had problems and considered the replies as spam. It might be that my email provider isn't letting them through. Jim

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
That's possible, i get regular emails sometimes that are labeled SPAM right on them. I can't even email my brother inlaw to his Excite address because it says i'm spamming him so has to be comcast was blacklisted through them which is kinda dumb because millions probably use comcast now days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts