Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a continuation of a cooling issue I have in my 64 Fairlane. Last year while racing and street driving the car ran hot and had problems cooling down. By hot I mean 210+ on mechanical gauge.

Car has 418, 19x24 aluminum radaitor, 16" electric fan that pulls 2200+ CFM, 180 thermo, shroud, Edelbrock water pump, 1:1 ratio pulleys, maybe 25% antifreeze.

Car has not boiled over, but does push alot of water in the catch can.

Car comes to 180+ and then the thremo opens and you can watch the temp fall. After that the temp will go to 205+. Doesn't matter if in traffic, open highway, slow driving, temp creeps to that range, evetnually it may fall back to 190 then creep back up.

Car when started from cold will come to 180, sit and idle with fan on all day long.

Fan is a manual that I switch on 180.

Limtied space between fan and water pump. Shroud is only 1/2" deep. Fan pulls enough air to make the grill cold to the touch.

Car has always had cooling issues it seems. All parts were new and the whole thing only has 750 miles on it.

What am I missing? Is this an air flow issue or water flow? To me it seems to be a water issue as the fan pulls alot of air.

Thanks
Pete

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
How many rows In the radiator? You will need more air at least 3000 cfm.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Sometimes a rad with more rows is harder to get air through. I believe a 3 row rad will cool most street engines. I know this from experience.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Seems to em like it's working PERFECT!

I mean hell it starts and idles all day at 180*. That's great!

The working range is 190 to 210* that is also great.

If you don't like the 205 to 210 range then I'd suggest a 190* thermostat. The 180 seems to be staying open due to the engine work load.

Go up to a 190 or 195 thermostat and I'm betting things will get better.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The radiator is a 2 row.

I can go back to a mechanical fan, but I really like the electrical for after race cooling. But i will try one in the meantime.

DanH-How would a stock pump work better than the Edelbrock which would flow more than stock? Is the theory behind that the water would stay in the radiator longer?

FE- Can you explain how a 190 or 195 would work better than a 180 thermo? Just trying to undersand how that would work

Thanks for the help
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
That fan doesnt move enough air.

I'd be leery of a fan that pulled 3000, especially on a fresh motor, and I like to see 4000+

However, before I'd start playing with thermostats, check your timing too. Late timing creates heat

Again though, 2000 cfm isnt enough

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
OK my explanation goes like dis hea.

Open thermostat constantly circulates the fluid, which, if the flow is constant the temp remains constant. The thermostat MUST close in order for the radiator to effectively remove enough heat to make a difference.

I'm thinking that your thermostat may be staying open.

Of course the CFM over the radiator may very well be the culprit. I just had to add my $0.02 :)

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
OK my explanation goes like dis hea.

Open thermostat constantly circulates the fluid, which, if the flow is constant the temp remains constant. The thermostat MUST close in order for the radiator to effectively remove enough heat to make a difference.

I'm thinking that your thermostat may be staying open.

Of course the CFM over the radiator may very well be the culprit. I just had to add my $0.02 :)
FE , you struck out on that thinking

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
The radiator is a 2 row.

I can go back to a mechanical fan, but I really like the electrical for after race cooling. But i will try one in the meantime.

DanH-How would a stock pump work better than the Edelbrock which would flow more than stock? Is the theory behind that the water would stay in the radiator longer?

FE- Can you explain how a 190 or 195 would work better than a 180 thermo? Just trying to undersand how that would work

Thanks for the help
Pete
stock pumps pump more gallons (gpm) at lower rpm .

with 1 to 1 ratio pump drive and a high performance w/p , not much flow

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems that almost everyone agrees on air flow, so I have 16" mechanical fan and shroud enroute to me.

The thermostat issue seems to kinda vary on opinon. I looked at the link for the stewart components and it seems my $3 thremo from Autozone might not be up to the task of the pump. Hence I have 180 and 195 hi-flows also enroute.

As for the pump, I don't think I have low rpm issues. The temp rises after running 6k rpm thru the gears, The temp gets up there and keeps creeping after I slow down to cruising speed or return road.

Hopefully the stuff gets here by the weekend and I can try it out.

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I went to my other house 15 minutes away on Sunday, It is 100 degrees here. My car with 427 stroked and radical as all get out ran 170 the entire time. Cruise through town to the gas station, cruise back through town and then out on the highway to go home. I have a Stewarts stage 3 pump, Lincoln Mark electric fan, 2 row Northern aluminum rad, a Stant 170 thermostat, 20% underdrive pulleys, and 22 pound cap. The car runs 170 to 175 no matter how I drive it, no matter how warm or cool the ambient temp is. 3 hour parade this am at 9, never got over 175.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Remember that thermostatic controlled fans turn on and off at certain set points. A fan that runs all the time will keep the car at a lower temp.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
A high flow pump will pump more water at any rpm over stock. Go to Stewart Components - High Performance Automotive Cooling and go through their faq's section and follow the suggestions to the letter.
read their ad for what its worth .
see where they say the oem/stock type pumps pump less at lower rpm ?
does that mean their pumps will pump the same volume at low rpm and higfh rpm ?
that ad b/s or true?

BTW , does the OP have a Stewart pump?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mustang42782-Thats exactly what I want my car to do.

DanH- I have an Edelbrock pump.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I'm running a Flowcooler water pump in my Falcon, 2 row summit/Northern radiator. 331ci with a Mechanical fan. I've got a 165deg thermostat in it.

Today OAT reached nearly 100deg. Falcon never went over 175deg.

I would try running the Mechanical fan, you could always mount the electric fan on the front side of the radiator and switch it on after a race, while in the pits.

Jet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts