Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you might have figured out by now ... I can get a little unorthdox and thinking "outside the box" at times.

A week ago I built an air intake system for my Mach1 ... It is 100% car parts (no "Home Depot" stuff at all).

It functions as a virtual "Ram Air" system and actually looks just fine (infact I think it looks better in real life than the PICs make it look).

If anyone would like to see PICs of the project I have them available on my aol account and can send them to anyone interested in taking a peek.

OH ... total cost of the entire system $24.00 ... and my time to fabricate it together.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Rick ... You should have them ...

In the form of a "Shared Album" from my AOL "You've Got Pictures" files.

Let me know if there is a problem with the "hook-up"

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Looks cool, is that an early 5.o air cleaner. Nice and clean install, good job. Hope you dont mind this.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm actually not sure exactly what the air cleaner assembly is from ... It's Ford though, with a second snorkle fabricated on to it.

The 3.5" ducts and flex tube is from 1980s era Mopar passenger cars and part of the installation concept is taken from that application as well.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rod ... you should have access to PICs now ... If not ... let me know

3.5" ducts extend to the front of car and are exposed under front bumper ... above front valance ... Once you are at speed ... It's a "Ram Air" system

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 2/28/02 11:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I worked on it over a couple of days ... could probably do one in half a day now ... If I had all the parts gathered up ahead of time.

Requires ... die grinder ... wire feed ... some scrap sheet metal ... air grinder ... a little bondo ... sandpaper ... hand saw ... screws ... air cleaner assembly ... two matching snorkles ... flex tubing and about six or seven sections of the 3.5" ducting (these ducts are curved and sleeved so you can fabricate them together and make them run any direction and distance you want)

I also vented the crank case to the air cleaner assembly so that took some fabrication as well.

It was a project but if you have the tools at your disposal and the inginuity to figure it out as you go ... It's very do-able

1 - 10 of 10 Posts