Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting air shocks on the rear of the 67 gal 4door. She rides a little heavy on the drivers side and hope to level it out with the shocks. Will this work? Pros or cons?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I am thinking about putting air shocks on the rear of the 67 gal 4door. She rides a little heavy on the drivers side and hope to level it out with the shocks. Will this work? Pros or cons?

Air shock tend to ride rough but I guess it depends on amount of pressure. I just took some off our 69.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Run them on our 57 tbird... Love them.

Stiff ride if you do too much ride height adjustment (when I jack up the rear for big tires). Otherwise not too bad. Where are you getting yours ? I just changed the ones on mine and the shock portion on the new ones feel funny (they have no damping for about 1")

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
If you're wanting to level it out using air shocks buy an extra set of hoses and run individual hoses to each shock otherwise there is a good chance it will still lean, mine did. Now that i have new springs all way round it doesn't. I never got round to getting another set of hoses. Like mentioned they will ride a little rough depending on how much air pressure you are running.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Everything ok down below? Such as frame rail, control arms, bushings, etc??

I had a '68 XL some 30 yrs ago and installed Moog coils in it in about the same time it would take to R&R shocks. I'm willing to bet coils are fairly inexpensive (more than shocks but not waay more) and still readily available for that app? Plus, you're doing your car a favor, IMO. (oh yes, air shocks have their place, just sayin' lol)
She rides a little heavy on the drivers side and hope to level it out with the shocks. Will this work? Pros or cons?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I would verify why it has the lean to one side. Usually that means a bad alignment - not bad springs. Easy fix. I've seen the front alignment change the rear height by 3"+ on one side only. The first time I saw it I couldn't believe it.
:tup:
David

·
Subscriber
153 Posts
If your planning to do springs eventually buy a rear set now and put them in. You have to disconnect your shocks to put in rear springs anyway. Shocks will cost you $60 or new springs for $80 but I'd check the frame and torque boxes before I did either.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Never thought of that will check that first
Be sure you verify all the specs - not just toe-in or camber. I completely fixed a bad lean in my '70 like that in 30 minutes, but had to do all of them for the full effect.
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
the new frame under ours is heavy, and the springs were old...sat just a tad low in the rear.

jacked by the pumpkin, made sure front was level (a weak front spring will show worse in the back sometimes- saw that with my mark VII airsuspension many times) and front was ok, put airshocks on with separate fittings in the upper license plate holes... 40 psi one side, 60 in the other levelled it right out.

on these old fords, gotta agree with a couple guys that already mentioned it- check out that frame before thinking about airshocks...they 'push' up rear of the spring seat, putting some additional torque on the front of the rear arches/torqueboxes, kinda like a bumperjack but a far lesser degree... if you dare use a bumperjack, and the frame dont snap, its probably more than fine for airshocks. Ive seen 2 cars crack frames when airshocks were pumped up, a 66 that belonged to a kid in highschool, and a 71(mine). neither car was anywhere near ok for a bumperjack- actually the bumper on my 71 fell off when I backed into my moms new mustang the day she brought it home, busted the rusty frame about middle of the trunk on both sides... cracked it farther forward a year later after pumping up the shocks too far...

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
That was why mine leaned, one of the front springs. It sat for several years on a bank with the drivers side on the low side so it had the fat lady lean as i called it. lol New springs several years after new on the back and it's level except maybe when i'm in it!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
One thing to remember is shock mounts are not meant to support weight, If you are lifting the the body or adjusting for load with air shocks then you are stressing a mount that was not designed to support the weight.

This of course dose not include aftermarket 4 link rear sub frames.

I have seen a quite a few shock mounts ripped off from using air shocks and will not run them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If You want Skateboard like handling...Use air shocks.

I;m Still running them but they gotta go..Yes Shock Mounts are not Designed to "Hold"the car up..
Buy some springs instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts