Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if any 66-67(68) 289 fairlanes in here are running these mustang 5.0 headers? I call em shorties. Is anyone having any clearance issues? Do they fit well? Thanks
Pictures won't work: http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/88600/10002/-1

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome the picture didnt load, sorry.

c4 column,

in the near future it will be floor shift auto, column and all. i have all i need to later make it a floor shift auto, and i might do manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
awesome the picture didnt load, sorry.

c4 column,

in the near future it will be floor shift auto, column and all. i have all i need to later make it a floor shift auto, and i might do manual.
Finding headers that work with a column shift auto is a real pain. I am not 100% sure because i have not done it yet but from people I have talked to shortie headers are the best way to go. I was going to call crites performance parts and ask them about there headers because they say for auto or manual. My guess is the auto is the floor shift version thou.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Flowtech makes a pair of long tube headers that fit.....I've got some on my 66 Fairlane with a 289 C4 column shift, AC and PS. They're around $300 if I remember right and they're even coated!

When I installed mine which was easy I had three issues.

1) I had to bend the column shift rod just a bit to clear one of the header tubes since I couldn't get 1st gear, I got all the others easy so bending it just a bit did the trick!

2) I had to bend the kick down bracket under the car over about 1/4" for clearance......easy enough with a hammer!

3) The PS bracket that you get if you have PS was always coming loose.....I fixed that by welding it after I tightened up the bolts for the last darn time.

Got it.....FlowTech 32100FLT 1 1/2 header tube size and you can see these at Summit Racing

I've had these on for years and have had no problems at all but I do recommend self locking header bolts the bolts aren't that easy to get too and self locking is the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.