Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got across a can of ATF made by Caltex. It says recommended for Allison C-4. Is this the C-4 trans used by Fords?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some research on Allison C-4. Turns out this is not a trans but a specification for an oil type. No relation to our C4s
Now, I really have a problem
I poured this into my C4 and I'm worried that this is the wrong type. I know I have to use type F but I can't find type F here

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check. Anyway, I read that some fluids specified for Allison C-4 are also recommended for type F. I hope this is true regarding my case.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
As long as you used an atf fluid you should be ok.I know lots of people insist on type f and thats ok but there are varying opinions .Some say that type f oxidises quicker and to use a dexron 2 or 3.Others say if you need type f to get a firmer shift then you have a valvebody programming issue.
Personnally i have used dexron 2 + 3 in c4 + c6 for a few years now and never had a prob.

Here's a little side note.Where i work we use allison transmissions.They originally came with dexron 3 which meets the c4 specification. Now after some probs with heating up the oil,allison recommended we fill them with 15/40 engine oil which also meets the c4 spec.Well even with the thicker oil it didn't affect the shifts one bit and actually lasted longer than the dex 3.
Anyway who would have thought to use engine oil.By the way the allisons we use are a 540 series(i think)and are basically a slightly bigger turbo 400.I hope this is useful...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gregaust,you are absolutely right!! The trans don't know the difference in fluid and will work!!!Long term usage? That's the question!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts