Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my car over to the track and it got a bit hot, stinky hot. On the way home I ran most of the way in second gear and no stinky hot at all. I hope these gears fix this problem. I'm going from 2.75 to 3.25 which is 18 percent lower. I may also build a little air scoop to help pull more air into my cooler. I may need a deep sump transmission pan as well. I would have thought that the C4 would not have these problems just pulling my car. :frown:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an external cooler mounted to the umm, cross over whatever that is at the bottom of the radiator support.

This is it looking from the bottom. Maybe it isn't getting enough fresh air.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Certainly not getting enough air flow across the fins when mounted on its side like that. You are not getting any flow whatsoever sitting at a stop light.

For towing you need a larger mass cooler that directs moving air through it. The factory one, in the radiator, should also be used. It (the factory cooler) should receive flow first from the tranny, then it should go to the auxiliary cooler. Try to mount the auxiliary cooler at least an inch in front of the radiator. Not only will it get a flow of air when you are moving, it will also get some drawn-threw flow when the engine fan is turning.

ATF should be kept as cool as possible, within reason. It does not need to get much over 100F to be in its operating range. Good coolers are cheap ($50 range.) Transmissions, as you know, are not.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I have a big surface area B & M cooler. Guess I should switch to that one.
Yes. We used my dad's E150 300/C4 to pull a 30-foot mobile home 450 miles WOT all the way. Impressive and probably illegal as hell. LOL. Point is, with a cooler about 170 square inches, it survived. Hot, but OK. Towing a car should be cake. FE said your thing is pathetic. I'd put the big cooler on and hang your balls on the grille just to be sure it's all good.
:D
David

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I try to not hang my balls on stuff. I have caught my crotch on fire a couple of times welding.

I got the 3.25 gear pumpkin out, cleaned up and painted so that will be gravy. Its in great shape too. It really was rebuilt like I was told.

I'm waiting on a new inch pounds torque wrench to show up this week so I make sure and swap the yoke with the proper pre-load. The man child is going to help me put that in. He and I lost a lot of time wrenching on old junk due to the divorce thing. She tried to pound the gear head out of him but it didn't work, LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts