Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's taking me a long time because of work and kids but I'm getting ready to tack the crossmember in and try out the front components.

I just need to grind off the lower part of the rail on the passenger side and then weld up the split in the rails and it'll be ready for measuring and tack in. I'll probably get it ready and then clean the bay and fenders first. I wat to prime and paint it all together and having the parts out of the way so I can sand and grind works great right now.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. I thought that right when I pulled one of the towers out. I'm getting the sand blaster this weekend to hit all the front section and then I'll fill more holes and tack it in. THis grinding is for the birds. I want to get deeper with the blaster.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to paint the bay the same color of the car with a 2 stage blue and clear, and just undercoat the inner fender area or if I should paint the bay black with clear and then undercoat the wells or just paint the whole thingthe color of the car. I will be driving it alot during the summer but not on rainy days or in the snow. I do like the idea of the undercoating because I can touch up any spots at any time and because I think it will quiet the noise under there some. Pluss the look of the wheels against a dark well will help them look better in my book. But then where do I transition from undercoating to the paint? Simple decisions always get me like this!

What do you guys think?

The car will be a light sky blue on the bottom with the roof area being white. I have to do the entire underside and will use rubberized undercoating for it but the wheel wells and engine bay transition is my holdup.

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Wheel wells painted and spray on under coating or bedliner on both of mine.

Engine bay of Fairlane is painted black, easy to touch up.

Falcon engine bay is painted a flat grabber blue, Thought I would try it, but I don't like it. (The flat) I will probably stick with body color though.

Just make sure you don't have any oil leaks, Falcon leaks bad. What a mess. Eninge coming back out this winter to fix those.

Jet

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a stickler for no leaks. I can't stand them. I've pulled tranny's just for a simple front pump seal drip.

I have run into a concern. In the picture below, you can see my A Arms are not parallel and the lower actually will be close to angling backwards when on the ground with a slight rake. My lower is close to level now and it'll drive nose down about an inch or two. That would make the lower arm move up and forward while the upper will be close to parallel with the ground. From bolt hole positions I have around 1/2" more distance from the upper hole to lower arm hole centers on the front as compared to the back. Front is 11" and rear is just under 10.5". Is this normal? THe crossmemberangle straight down is actually pretty evident in the pic whereas the spring perch is angled back as I would expect. Shouldn't the front actually angle more forward for an up and back arch of the arm?

If you can't see it well here, the link is

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/ndfastang/DSC03211.jpg

Thanks for any help. I just mocked it up for measurements and more fender cutting. It's all coming back out and I'm going to blast the whole front end before sealing and painting.

Dave

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trust me, I've been all over your thread and many other web pages regarding this but I just can't get a good view. I've used some of your pics to get an idea of where and what with some things. Thanks.

The problem I seem to have is, everyone uses the coilovers and I went with the standard springs for smoother ride and the ability to go with a standard firestone bag if I ever decided to go with bags.

I'll call William on Monday and discuss a few other things with them too.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the parts tacked in and the suspension mocked up. I still need to cut into the strut rod bracket so I can get the swaybar bracket welded up. I also need to position and weld the brake caliper hose bracket in the fender too. The only issue I have is when I turn the wheel lock to lock, the spindle steering arm comes in contact with the swaybar bushing. It's not heavy contact but it is enough to push the bar over around a half an inch or so. I still can play with the sway bar mount so I have room to wiggle. After a call to William tomorrow for a few answers, I'll be ready to final weld in the entire thing. Then I can start work on the fender patch panels. Hopefully I can get this all together and painted before the snow flies. Then I can fill the bay with stuff over the winter.

Any ideas on the steering issue?

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I wish your pictures were bigger. But your sway bar mount should be level, it looks angled down?

Locate them while your lower A-arms level with the crossmember.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't cut the strut bar supports out of the way so I could mount it straight in these pics. I just finished that today and they are level. I did notice however that your brackets don't cover up the hole in the frame just forward of them. Mine do and everything is level and flat. Maybe the 64 is slightly different. I talked with William today and he confirmed all my worries were just that, worries. My spindle hitting the swaybar is not going to happen because the tire will hit the well before that happens. I may have to shim the rack limit then. We'll see in the end. I had a wire feed issue with the welder today so I had to stop. I got the sway bar brackets done but the front seam on the passenger side looks like crap and I'm too upset to do the actual framework now. I want it structurally sound and being pissed off doesn't yield good work from me. Wire feed is fixed but I'll wait. I have the welding of the frame and spring cups and then I have to weld in the brake line brackets. I know where they are going due to my fit test with the wheel and all but had to stop. I still have the fender panels to weld in too. I'm not going to get this thing done before the snow flies. I was hoping to have the bay done and painted and the inner wells coated. Bummer. I'll just keep on trucking.

As for the pics, I put them on my Photobucket page and no matter what size I post them there, they always come up the same here. Maybe it's a size limit on me or something. My photobucket page is found at

Pictures by ndfastang - Photobucket

You can see all the pics in good size and quality there. Let me know if you think I need to do anything specific.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Pictures are still small on on Photobucket. Nice Buck and Turkey! When do We hunt? LOL

I just noticed how far you had it turned due to not having your tie rod hooked up. Once you have the rack turn to turn centered up. You shouldn't have a issue. The only time I have rub is on my Falcon, it rubs a little on my Wilwood proportioning valve at full lock to the right. Poor placement and that I'm running 17x8 on the front.

You should be good to go, get the welder tuned up and take your time.

Jet

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha. I forgot about having them up on my page. The buck was my last years bow tag. My first velvet buck. He lost some by the hard fall so he's mounted without it. Oh well. I got 3 deer last year with my bow and will probably not take one this year other than a doe for meat. I'm trying to top this boy and that's tough to do here with the low numbers in deer. The turkey was my first little Jake with a gun. 10 feet from me. I lost my private lease due to property sale. I had 23 birds left there still. I called in a buddies first and let a few others in to get their kids a bird. I missed my shot this year. Oh well.

I got the frame all welded up. Not too bad but I stopped in a few spots and played skip around to keep the warping potential down. I don't know what the heck is wrong with my camera. One of the kids must have messed with it. I'll have to bark at them to leave my stuff alone. Here it is done. I still need to get the panels and the brake hose bracketswelded in and then fill the holes I want to. THENNNNN I can clean it for sanding.

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I haven't bow hunted for a few years, But I'm ready to go this year.
I shot a nice 8 pt with the Muzzle loader last year.

The welds look great! Keep posting updates.

Jet

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. All I shoot is bow. I don't even own a rifle. Filled my bow and 2 rifle tags last year with my bow. All at under 20 yards. Bow for game and shotgun for the birds. Good luck this year if you do get out!

Dave

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I got the panels and brake hose brackets welded on and filled some of the holes. It's going real slow now with honey do's overwhelming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.