Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started my 331 motor with Canfield heads today and ran it for about 5 minutes to warm up so the thermostat could open and I could check for leaks!! What I have is a new set of Ford Racing valve covers without the breathers,because you have to buy them seperate.I also did not hook up the pcv because of the new valve covers.I have a 331 with 54CC chamber Canfield heads at about 11 to 1 compression ratio!! I started it up and ran it for about 5 minutes and have a tremendous amount of crankcase pressure{blowby}.This motor is a DSS Bullit Racing motor and don't remember this happening before with the cast iron heads!!Had the pcv system hooked up when starting that motor brand new,and it was also a 331 from DSS Racing.They just reworked it for me cause I dropped a valve with my cast iron heads!!Had paper towels in the grommets of the valve cover because I don't have the breathers yet.Also no pcv valve hooked up.It's blowing oil out the dipstick tube[WITHOUT THE DIPSTICK IN PLACE}because the dipstick hits the DSS main support system at this time!If I hold a rag over that hole it pop's the paper towels out the valve cover that I have in place of the breathers at this time.DSS told me I need to run the motor for at lease 45 minutes to and hour and the rings will finally seat in.These were the ductile iron rings I'm using with my nitrous!! Please give me your opinions on this!!THANKS,[email protected]

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm not sure since I have alays had substantial amounts of blow-by out the valve cover breatehrs even on fresh motors. And I have always had to take the dipstick out, put a vacuum cap with a hose clamp over the hole to keep it from blowing out during a pass.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey man when I talked to you on the phone today I told you that problem should go away after you get the pcv hooked up. I wouldn't run that engine anymore until you do that or you'll be pulling the tranny to reinstall that rear main when it pops out from all the pressure. I really wish you would stop playing around and get that car done so we can take it to the track . I can't wait to make a pass with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jay 50 is right on the money here...PCV valve should fix your problem no doubt,I would definetly run r/cover breathers also...My brother had a blocked PCV on his motor and that thing forced oil out from all seals and gaskets,new PCV problem fixed......BOSS 289...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jay 50 is right on the money here...PCV valve should fix your problem no doubt,I would definetly run r/cover breathers also...My brother had a blocked PCV on his motor and that thing forced oil out from all seals and gaskets,new PCV problem fixed......BOSS 289...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yea what he said, twice. Yes you really do need some sort of evacuation system on the car. A pvc system helps the rings seal better, which is why Jeff is getting blowby with a fresh motor. When the pistons come up the valves let out the pressure from the top side of the piston. When the piston goes down, that pressure also needs to go somewhere. Think sneezing and shutting your mouth and nose at the same time. Sooner or later it is going to come out your ears.

·
Registered
237 Posts
what about running those little valve cover filter elements, like the ones K&N makes, or leaving the hole open for breakin as long as you put some baffles under them?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The filter element works ok but a pcv system works better. With the open breather the pistons have to push the air out of the crankcase. With the pcv system the air is being pulled out of the crankcase by engine vaccuum instead. The less work the engine has to do the more horsepower it will make. Think of the effic. difference betwen a N/A engine and a blower engine. Kinda the same difference.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Am I the only one who doesnt like the idea of all that oil mist getting sucked back into the intake and contaminating the intake charge? It might help the rings seal better, but how much power is lost by the oil residue getting mixed into the fuel charge and interfering with the cumbostion process? Or am I just lost?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys,Jay don't think you'll be able to handle the power with the 200 hp nitrous kit on top of it!! Wanting 10's!!! The motor alone should run low 11's.This weekend I will hook up the pcv valve but the problem still arises like I told my buddy Jay,the Victor Junior intake has NO hookup on it to run a vacuum source.You need to run directly off the carb so what do you do with the power brake hose?His suggestion was to T into it with the pcv system!!Will see what happens and thanks again guys for the info!!!! CAN'T WAIT to make a pass with this setup!!!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hey Kid, if you have a baffle in the valve cover like you are supposed too you won't get oil contamination. Good word though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you guys are worried about blowby and intake charge contamination, why not do like the big time racers and weld a fitting to your headers and run a hose to the valve covers. The blowby goes out the exhaust, and the more rpms you turn the better the rings seal.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Xacltly, I really don't think the motor would be effected by the "misty oil air". Just kidding. Actually the best way to tell would be a test and tune night if you are really wondering. It doesn't take anything to hook up a pcv unit. Take a couple of passes and find out. Besides if he isn't running baffles then the oil is prob. being thrown out of the valve cover and is soaking the crap out of his breather.(learned this the hard way)FMS makes tall valve covers for this very reason.

·
Registered
777 Posts
In my case, I dont have that problem since I will not run a PCV on any of my carb equipped "hotter than stock" cars. My racecar has the evac system to the headers, and if I could afford it, it would have a vacuum pump on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts