Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another bull**** roadblock. just got my single wire tuff stuff silver bullet alt in the mail. went to install it and what a ****ing shock, it doesnt line up. the block is a 74 and the heads are 78. from my understanding this setup uses a different bracket than the T bracket that the 69 used. when i stick the bolt that goes through the alt and into the head in. the bottom bolt that goes through the pivot bracket and threads into the alt is not even close to lining up. the alt is about 1.5'' away from even reacing the pivot bracket. im am lost as **** and really need to get this sorted out 20 minutes ago.

please someone help. with a picture of yours or something. i have read a bunch of threads but they were all so damn old that pictures didnt work or pictures were not even posted

·
Registered
691 Posts
On my setup I have the bolt going into the head at the top, and one adjustable lower that has one bolt into the alt, and one bolt into the water pump. It pivots on the water pump. You could always try putting a spacer between the alt and your bracket.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i made my own test bracket out of sheet metal today just to see if it would work. and it looks like it will. just need to figure out what thickness plate would be strong enough. the 16g sheet metal i used as the test peice just folded when put pressure on the belt to test its tension.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea thats what i was thinkinking. ill see if tho local metal shop has some in there scrap bin today

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I can't see the whole adjuster bracket, but why not just cut and offset that one? I'm following Redtail, that my adjusters just pivot at the pump, so height is not a factor - only depth for belt alignment. Does it have to swing so wide outwards? Can you get or have a smaller belt and just mod your original adjuster bracket?

David

·
Registered
688 Posts
well i made my own test bracket out of sheet metal today just to see if it would work. and it looks like it will. just need to figure out what thickness plate would be strong enough. the 16g sheet metal i used as the test peice just folded when put pressure on the belt to test its tension.

You need to put the fan back on the alt or it will fry itself in no time.

Small Block Ford Chrome Alternator Bracket 289 302 351W | eBay

$20 easy fix

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why will it fry? newer alts dont have the fan? (not arguing, just trying to understand)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
getting that chrome looking one will also cause me to have to buy a new belt. and the belt for my "cog" pulleys isnt buyable at a local store so i would then have to order that was well. i already got the metal to make my own and it was free

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yea im just trying to understand WHY it needs to have the fan, when newer cars alts dont have the fan. im not saying they are wrong. im just tryin to learn something

yea road repairs on this car are not going to be very easy haha. but its going to be strickly a show car/cruise night car. so i wont be driving it much

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh, ok. thank you. well i will try and make the one that came with the alt fit with these pulleys. if it doesnt ill just have to hope that the giant hole cut in my hood will allow enough airflow to keep it somewhat cool

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok well i just went and test fit the fan on there with the cog pulley. IT FITS. so no more worries about that. thanks to everyone that warned me about it though. i would have been pissed if i fried my alt after all this other BS. now i just need to make my final bracket

·
Registered
688 Posts
Cool as Fe said the new ones have them internal I just saw it in the picture that you had removed it. Those GM one wire alternators die easy enough without removing the cooling system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts