Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alt light just started flickering and glowing while driving. It goes on solid sometimes at idle, and when I step on the brakes. It just started doing this recently, but it is still charging fine cause I have an ammeter connected to it, and it is still charging like it used to. Its an old style alt with a seperate regulator. Could it be the regulator going bad? I have a small underdrive pulley, and sometimes it would be on dim at idle, which is understandable, but now its on solid at idle. After it warms up, it goes away for a while but on long trips (more than 45 minutes) it comes back on. Any ideas/suggestions where to start?

·
Registered
59 Posts
When you say ammeter do you mean for checking current or a voltmeter for checking voltage? With an underdrive pulley you will need to bring the RPM's up to about 1500 or so for testing but should read between 13.5 and 14.8 volts. What you describe is sometimes caused by a loose alt belt also. Regulators are cheap so start there if not it could be the diodes going south in the alternator. Diodes can cause some strange things in a system. Good luck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68StangJurls on 4/22/02 10:25pm ]</font>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts