Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the situation, I got rid of my powersteering, and now I need to get the pulleys to line up correctly. I have several alternator brackets from various cars and can get more if need to. My car is a '77 Mustang II, so I know I have to change the bracket cause the old one was way wrong, and the alt belt did not run the waterpump. So what kind of car should I get the pulleys off of, I was looking at the spectra alt bracket to add some shine too, I assume that the pulleys are way differnt for each application... perhaps it's just the waterpump pulley that is different? If that pulley is set back farther, about an inch, it will work fine. I guess I'm wondering of anyone else went thorough this and how they solved the problem.

Thanks.
Matt S.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I'm assuming it has a 302? In that case, look for a maverick that has a 302, get the brackets off of it. The ones that had alternator only (no p.s., a.c.,etc.) used 0ne belt for the water pump and alternator both. I had one, but it kept throwing the belt above 6500 rpm, so I ditched it in favor of a 2 belt system...one for the alternator, and one for the water pump and fabricated idler pulley that takes place of the p.s. pump.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... That may be an easier idea, by using an idler for the waterpump. Where did you get the idler pulley at? I was going to make my own brackets and stuff, but maybe fabing an idler pulley will keep things in check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts