Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 Falcon I'm restoring. I have a fresh built late 80's 5.0 in it, carbureted, and I'm getting closer to firing it off. I have a 2 row aluminum radiator from ECP installed. I had planned on running an electric fan so I picked up a Tuff Stuff 100 amp alternator for it with a built in regulator. It's the one with the natural finish and a GM hybrid case with Ford mounting. After I got the engine and radiator in the car, I saw I had the same problem many Falcon owners have, which is not enough clearance between the water pump pulley and radiator. The engine mounts are installed the correct way and I'm past the point of turning them around to move the engine back. The T5 is already installed and hole cut in the tunnel. Drive shaft is made and installed also.

I currently have a 5 blade steel reproduction fans like Melvin's and Mac's sell although I hate having to run a straight fan. My question is, do I really need a 100 amp alternator if I'm not going to be running an electric fan or any power accessories? Should I buy a normal alternator and run an external voltage regulator? Tuff Stuff makes a 70 amp Ford design alternator as well as an external regulator. It would be a little better than stock which I'm guessing was 53 to 60 amps. I'm installing a new complete wiring harness so I'm not hooking it up to factory wiring.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't have anything to do with it. I was simply stating why I bought the 100 amp and why I don't really need that much output. I guess what I'm asking is, if you have a high amp alternator but don't have anything drawing enough to use it, does it cause any issues running it?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with it. I was simply stating why I bought the 100 amp and why I don't really need that much output. I guess what I'm asking is, if you have a high amp alternator but don't have anything drawing enough to use it, does it cause any issues running it?
No issues. Mine has a 130 amp unit. Just make sure to have a large wire going from the alternator to the battery, as it may be asked to flow a lot of current. 8 gauge would be nice... and good connections! You can also run two separate 10 gauge wires, to effectively do the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts