Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what heads are better? trick flow or edelbrock. for a 351w

·
Registered
202 Posts
Would depend alot on the performance level of
the 351. The bigger flowing head would be better for most 351's. Out of those 2 I would choose the Trick Flow. I like the AFR
heads over the TF though, 185cc for mild 351
and 205cc for wild 351.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is some what a mild 351w.

·
Registered
749 Posts
out of the box...TW's's over the perf/perf rpm heads everytime.

For the money TFS TW are a great head and work well for a "mild" 351(350-400 hp). They have potential for even a wild street/strip 351w(400-500+ hp) in pro ported form. TW heads do need they head bolt holes drilled for the larger 1/2 in head bolts that 351w's use though.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
one thing to look for though, most afkt. alum. heads raise the ex. ports on the heads a small amount over stk. type heads. This is good for flow on the ex. side but might mean you have to use different headers made for those heads. Some raise them a small amount, like the canfields and TFS TW, so headers made for a 351W for whatever car they are for should work although you may have slight clearance problems. The TFS TW R heads raise the ex. ports something like 3/4" and you have to use headers made for those heads or have headers made up. I believe the victor heads raise the port up 1/2" so it's not a big deal. Canfields have a 0.400" raised ex. port and when assembled on a 351W raises the headers up just under a 1/4" which is minor and should work on most vehicles without any major banging of header tubes. just something to check for in case you already have headers and don't want to be buying a different set because the head ports are different than stk.

·
Registered
749 Posts
TFS reports that TW heads ports are in the stock location and work with standard application headers. I have TW on a 351W with old FMS 351W swap shorties with a 5.0 2.5 off road H pipe(pacesetter), flowtubes and 3 chamber flowmaster muffs on a 81 mustang. Everything fits like it was factory stock. I also have a friend that has a 351w in an 87 mustang with edlebrock vic jr heads that are reported to have .130 raised exhaust ports and he said he had no probs with BBK 1 3/4 long tube 351 swap headers for standard heads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cman,I run the Canfields and only have problems with the spark plugs!! They hit the hedder flange,not the tube! The Hooker Super Comp. hedders fit great but have a adapter plate that bolts to the head ahd causes the spark plug to hit the hedder!!Need to remove the hedder to get the plugs in and run a shorty for spark plug boot clearance!! Run lots of nitrous that cleans the plugs like brand new when you have the kit adjusted right!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
pulling headers to change plugs???? hope that's not in the cards for me when I get my canfields for "project sleeper". That would suck, and would make it more of a PITA to do plugs than on my Formula.

I'll get a chance to check clearances with the headers on the heads before dropping the motor in so hopefully I can do something about that problem if it arises. Once the headers are in and bolted up I like to keep them there and not mess with it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
331nos, some questions. How do you like the canfields? How long have you had them? Did you buy them bare or assembled? Let me know either here or email. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts