Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title suggests, is there any benefit to buying an aluminium water pump to put on a cast iron block? The aluminium and the iron water pump are the same price, so I figured I'd check with the community if theres any pros/cons to it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Flush the cooling system and use a good 50/50 coolant out of the bottle (like the Preston mix) or run your choice of antifreeze and 50% distilled water. And maintain the system - flush and change every other year at least. I use the Flowkooler aluminum pumps - better water flow than stock and they put up with the abuse of racing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thanks guys, I heard someone say (not the most trustworthy person either) that it won't last as long and might warp or some crap. I didn't really believe it, but hell might as well check before I buy it right?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
The saving of 17 ounces of weight is so infinitesimal as to bring zero advantage to you.
You haven't latched on to a 351C iron pump vs the FlowKooler aluminum one then. About 2-4 lbs is more like it. And several (the Flow Kooler for sure) use improved impellers to move more water - aids cooling. These use a 3/4" shaft and sealed bearings.

One pump has been in use here for 13 years, the other for about 6.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Just get aluminum. I have aluminum intake, thermostat housing, heads, water pump, radiator and heater core. After a while, the weight savings do add up. :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just purchased an aluminum water pump from Flowkooler and was wondering if I should go with less poundage or torque when tightening up them bolts; and how much less? Any suggestions or reference?
Use factory torque spec.
Torque is for the bolts,
it doesn't matter what the pump is made of.

Torque on bolts is so they stretch,
that is what gives the clamp load so they don't loosen later on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts