Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone usin em? which, and where can i get the best deal on them?
i was thinkin about the tfs, cuz i like their tw heads for sbf... but, are these for street use, or more race oriented?
i have seen the e-brocks, but cannot find pricing info.

thanks for any help//

btw, its for a 85gt

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Good question.
It's hard to know what is the best way to go.I have had some experience with the ford alum cobrajets and personally like them.With the results Greg cook gets from his galaxy they must be ok ,but it seems a lot of guys dislike them ,i don't know why.It will be interesting to hear some other opinions.At this stage i'm looking around for some alloys but it's hard to know which way to go...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been lookin again the the e-brock perf rpm's....look pretty nice.
nobody has these heads here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks chilly.
ill check it out and post a ?

and one more here, are the tfs a429 head essentially the same as the frpp a429 heads? the flow numbers that i have found look quite similar, and they all suk! i cannot believe my mildly ported tfs heads for a 302 nearly outflow a set of pro ported tfs bb heads! wtf! ???
my heads check in at 298/218 @ .600", and the bb heads i found # for are 340/220 @ .600"
thats just sad

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
the TFS was the A460 head not the Ford A429 you can buy today.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My brother bought the Edelbrock heads for his 460 in his '72 mustang, but I haven't driven it enough to know if they made much of a difference. He seems to really like them, his main problem now is he's still running stock exhaust manifolds, so I think that's really holding back his upper RPM power. I'll probably end up getting a set for the Bronco one of these days, maybe next time I tear the engine down for whatever reason, hehe.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The Edelbrock heads work gr8. I have them on my 525 (running a BDS 14-71) and they flow well with the pressure I'm pushin.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Edelbrock & Motorsport CJ's are both crap! I have seen the aftermath of trying to get real world power with them. A/E-460's require you to spend mega bucks. If you want to make real power, have a set of heads that use stock valve train parts(except exhaust valves) you'll buy Blue Thunder heads. I have used mine for 8 years & I'll match numbers with anyone out there. The Aluminum CJ's & Edelbrock heads are okay if you want a low buck car & you aren't worried about making all the power you can. They're good street heads. For my money, I'll do the again. BTW, my car may be light at #2500 but it's a 466 with a very small roller, not the 557 some people tout.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Performer RPM's and they are great! Motorsport CJ are for anything above 6500rpm and the Blue Thunders are best for all out racing 500cfm/400cfm with a little work.
The RPM's I cleaned up the bowls and polished everything, blended the pockets and push rod bosses and picked up an additional 11 CFM. One must remember 2-5 cfm is a good increase...air in + air out =hp so the faster in and out adds up. Most heads do this at a lower rpm range to get the flow...bigger ports are for higher rpm potential to get the flow. For all out racing use the Blue Thunders, Street/Strip the Motorsport CJ are good above 6500 (that's where the extra 100 hp is.., for a good all around perf for the $ the Edelbrock RPM's fit the bill $1690 complete on-line.
The Stock crank in a 460 has a short life span with hp levels 700 hp and any rpm's above 6500 +... so keep this in mind if your winging it that high. I should have some pics in a week or so of another set that I'm doing the porting on...there nicer than the CJ's out of the box. You can reach me via [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I guess I can throw my Ford SVO C-460 Heads out the window on the freeway and watch them spark. I have over 4,500.00 in them between purchase price and related valvetrain equpment and porting by Airflow. They only flow 440 and 330 at 28". Not too many Blue Thunder Heads out on the river. The Exhaust seats warp and fall out, causing too many headaches. In a car, headers don't fit without a major torch session due to the exhaust port/bolts being in a non stock location. Who did the porting/testing on the 500/400 set???????????????????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I guess I can throw my Ford SVO C-460 Heads out the window on the freeway and watch them spark. I have over 4,500.00 in them between purchase price and related valvetrain equpment and porting by Airflow. They only flow 440 and 330 at 28". Not too many Blue Thunder Heads out on the river. The Exhaust seats warp and fall out, causing too many headaches. In a car, headers don't fit without a major torch session due to the exhaust port/bolts being in a non stock location. Who did the porting/testing on the 500/400 set???????????????????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts