Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a old junkyard I used to get parts from and in it was a 66 custom 500 4 door sedan that had aluminum front brake drums,I dont think I was seeing things but has anyone seen a Ford with aluminum brake drums. I know GM had them but never seen them on a Ford and wish I would have brought a camera or took them home with me.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I can't remember ever hearing of such a thing. Doesn't mean they didn't exist but...
I wish you would of gotten a pic also! Sounds like me, always think about that kind of thing after i'm home.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
There was a old junkyard I used to get parts from and in it was a 66 custom 500 4 door sedan that had aluminum front brake drums,I don't think I was seeing things but has anyone seen a Ford with aluminum brake drums. I know GM had them but never seen them on a Ford and wish I would have brought a camera or took them home with me.
Hey Mr. JYJ,
Some time ago, called Greg Donahue in Floral City, Florida to see about getting some Front Brake Drums for Ms. American, and he asked if I would like to have Aluminum Brake Drums? I told him they wouldn't be stock. He said that they would be proper&correct for a Police Interceptor because Ford had put all the NASCAR equipment in the PI Catalog.

When asked how much they were, Mr. D. said: "Are you sitting down? They are $750.00 each."

So the answer to your question is: Though I've never personally SEEN Aluminum Brake Drums on a Galaxie, I don't doubt that they exist.

HTH

JC

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
This is from the 427 registry.
In the Ford Master Parts Catalog there is a listing for aluminum front disc drum kit for taxi cabs part number C3AE-1102-E.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
This was back in the mid 90s when I seen them and the car is long gone.
Hey Mr. JYJ,
Don't know if you remember, but Buick had Aluminum Drum Brakes back some time ago. The Drums were finned for cooling. They looked GREAT. Got used on MANY Hot Rods, and gave the Front Wheels a BEAUTIFUL textured look. See an example here (half way down the page):

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307073

Then some time later, there was some guy who went around buying up all the Buick Finned Aluminum Brake Drums that he could get his hands on. He was using them as the body of a Banjo that he produced! No, HONEST! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g527lOiK0dw

JC

·
Registered
419 Posts
Others brands had similar. I just came into a pair of Pontiac 11" x 2 3/4" aluminum drums with the spindles in a truck load of parts I picked up. They were made by Kelsey Hayes. There is almost no information out there about them, and even the owner of a local brake shop in business since the 60s had no clue what they were from. Finally I came across an ad that had a single drum for sale, and mentioned they were from the Heavy Duty Police package in 65-67. Very nice looking drums too, and pretty darn light! Too bad they weren't the Ford drums....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I am going to look at all 65 to 67 fords in the junkyards to see if I can find another set but probably wont find any now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts