Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old 3 row in my 70 mustang is starting to really wear out. I'm thinking by this summer it's gonna blow up or something. So, I'm considering putting an aluminum radiator in to cool my 347. The stock one cools good, but it just doesn't seem too reliable. Can anyone recommend a good aluminum radiator for a street/strip car? I'd like to keep the price under $200.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just bought one of the universal type also. Bought a 26X19 from Afco. Bought it at a trade show, so got the show price of $150. Most of the mail order companies carry them.

For your 70 you have a couple of choices. You can use a 22X19 and it will almost be a bolt in. It's a little smaller than the openeing in your core support. Stock is 24X19. Make a couple of brackets and you are done. You can also step up to the 26X19 (best idea) and you need to cut the core support a little in order to get the radiator away from the engine a little more. I took me less than 5 minutes with a sawz-all. Made a couple pf brakets and then I finished.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise. I was looking over scummit's catalog and saw that they make their own aluminum radiators for about $160. I think I'll give one of those a shot and let you guy know how it works. I also had to get a tranny cooler because I don't think the scummit radiator has one built in.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
yea, it doesnt have a cooler. I just put one on the front. Its a 19000gvw B&M. I think i would get the next size up if I did it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts