Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good or bad are aluminum spring-eye bushings for street use?

This is a sunny day only kind of car.

I am planning to try a set of Caltrac's on my 65 Mustang, and they use a steel in aluminum spring eye bushing.

Anyone running these aluminum bushings on the street?

·
Registered
336 Posts
You will get a lot of road noise etc, some spring boxes in uni body cars can tear.We used bronze and ran grease nipples.I use the poly bushes now. No noise and some give.On one type of car here (New Zealand) trailing arms would tear out of the floor pan with too hard of a type of nothathane bush so polyuathane made with grooves in the bushes body for the bush to "flow" too under high movement stopped the tearing.This was in both street and drag use.It depends on the cars type and body and end use.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
squeek!!!
Seriously, unless you have a fetish for irritation (JK) stay away from aluminum bushings for a street car. It will turn your sunny sunday drive into and annoying "teeth grinding ride"
Get a bushing kit from Energy Suspension. Just Make SURE that you use a wire brush or a flex hone or something to get all of the rust out of the eyelets before you install the bushings with the grease they give you. If you dont get all the contamination out, it will start to squeak over time.

If you want the Ultimate then check out Del-a-lum bushings

http://www.globalwest.net/mustang_1964%20-73%20catalog.htm#Components

Good luck !

'68 302 Iron port polished heads.
Mod Must II headers.
Edelb Rpm Airgap
Holley 570
Msd dist ,Crane HI6 igntion
Bla Bla Bla
The money pit, "So... when will it be done?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 3/5/06 4:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have aluminum bushings in my cal tracs and in the rear on the shackles and I have have no issues to report either. Tim.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have aluminum bushings in the front of the rear spring eyes on the Cougar, I have no issues either, no noise, rides great, much better than the '88 Mustang.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I run CalTracks and don't have any squeak or other issues. You'll get some rattle because you'll need to run the Cals a little loose on the street. Nothing terrible.

·
Registered
664 Posts
my cal-tracs with aluminum bushings are also not irritable. Kinda wondering if some people are just passing along stuff they heard from "some guy" rather than actual firsthand experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts