Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a naturaly aspirated 302, is aluminum or iron heads preferred? I have heard aluminum heads tend to damage head gaskets easier. Which is good to put on and leave on for the life of the motor. Would a performance water pump be recomended with the aluminum to keep cooler? Trying to decide which to go with. Way more performance minded aluminum heads are available. Thanks for all of the information!
Allan

·
Registered
355 Posts
Iron is heavier, holds in more heat - Aluminum is obviously the opposite. Heat helps produce power to some extent, so iron heads of the exact same config will produce more power. More aluminum heads are available for higer performance apps than iron. Alum is typically more expensive than iron. As for wear, most of today's engines have aluminum heads if not blocks too so I doubt that wear is a problem if you use matched quality parts.

No easy answer except what you r budget allows. I opted for aluminum because of availablity and the fact that Ford small blocks like to produce tons of heat and I had cooling problems. I also have high compression which is bad with too much heat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts