Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and my best friend, is currently residing in the hospital strapped to a modern iron lung battling a slight bit of "we don't know" and a bit of pneumonia, coupled with parts of 2 lungs that are broken.

So if it's not too much to ask, please put him on your prayer list for small miracles and the like. :)

He's been on the ventilator for 3 days and may not get off it for as much as another week, maybe 10 day's, or, if nothing improves, the rest of his life.

He's only just turned 72, but has been smoking for 65 years, and was in the body and fender business since summer of 1960. He has C.O.P.D and Emphysema, and asthma on top of all that...

His friends called him Sandy for the last 50 or so years, but his name is Bernard.

To all of my friends here, and even JustJim, Please, when doing anything from Polishing your stainless on a buffing wheel to hand sanding a tiny piece of metal for a project, to buffing your car, or rattle canning a bottle cap, PLEASE wear your particle masks, made of cotton preferably, not the paper kind that don't do anything but fog your glasses.

You see, he worked for a lot of the time without a mask for the small things, the inconsequential, things that you'd think are harmless; But nothing you inhale is harmless except for the scent of your wife and kids, and occasionally your girlfriend.... :D

As much as I dislike you all, I'd rather have you here to make fun of, than not have you here at all!

Best wishes and Thank You to you all,

Gary (FE)

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Real sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad was also in the trade and although he moved out of the paint shop when he bought his own bodyshop the way they did things back then the fumes where never too far away - as I know your Dad will attest.

Although I hear you on wearing a mask, I always find it amazing at just how long old bodymen and painters do live - or what ultimately gets them - which is often something other than shop poisons. Your Dad's condition is definitely from smoking (and wow, even 60 years of smoking is amazing!) and my Dad, like many in the business, was alchohol. Today neither of those posions are around like they where in those days so wearing a "proper" mask should keep the lungs pristine for a long time.

Thanks for sharing that and I'm sure you are taking the time to tell your Dad everything he should hear from you now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thoughts and prayers with you and yours sir. For the foreseeable future we all have a finite number of organs and appendages...listen to this man, take care of yours, no one else can do it for you.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I'll chime in.

Wear earplugs.

Tinnitus (ringing/screeching ears), will not kill you, but it will change your whole life, and, very possibly, change your personality.

I've had "T" since 2000, but really bad since 2007.

I honestly don't know how I fall asleep without pills.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'll chime in.

Wear earplugs.

Tinnitus (ringing/screeching ears), will not kill you, but it will change your whole life, and, very possibly, change your personality.

I've had "T" since 2000, but really bad since 2007.

I honestly don't know how I fall asleep without pills.
Hey that what ringing ears is called? I never been to a doc for it but my ears ring 24/7 / About 5 years ago one of my employs hit me with a 28 ounch hammer behind the head. Was an accident , busted a hole in my head, cracked my scull . Doc said have to be careful never to get hit there again in same spot. Ever sence my ears ring . I donot notice it as much now , getting use to it excelpt when all is quiet trying to speep. It sure does suck I know that.

Hope ya dad gets better FE

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I hope your dad gets better quick Gary. I'm sure it's heartbreaking to see him that way.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I hope your Dad gets better soon! Now I will get on my soap box. If you smoke stop now. I am over 50 and all my friends that have smoked all of their lives are in bad shape from smoking. Do yourself and your family a favor and kick the habit.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Prayers for your Pops. Hope he gets better and is out in the garage telling you what to do. :)

As long as were bringing up safety items, Welding helmets! Learned the hard the way last winter and got my eyes burned pretty bad. I will just tack these areas, Don't need a helmet. Yeah Right!
I couldn't stand bright lights for about a week. And felt like sand in my eyes for several days. Painful!

Jet

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he pulls thru. In the old days your co workers would call you a sissy when they see you with a respirator and gloves in my trade. Bottom line a little common sence goes a long way. Health and safety first;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Send my best wishes to your dad, Gary. Tell him he has to be in fine fettle for the BBQ!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts