Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is stupid of me to ask, but why did Ford go away from having the amp guage in the clusters to just a voltmeter?
Just curious...was browsing a post about the G3 conversion for one of the guys in the torino section.
I am going to for the time being upgrade the alternator on my '72 Gran Torino Sport to the 100 amp unit because I have a stack of good units, plus a near new unit from my last truck and a NOS alternator harness for it.
I have debated about hooking up the ammeter circut for my original sport cluster but don't want to burn up the guage or worse, fry the wiring by accident.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
With an ammeter all of the electrical current used by your car has to go through the meter, with the exception of the starter motor. This wasn't a problem back when the alternators, and all of your car's electrical system, were rated at only 35 - 50 amps. Nowadays cars have 100 amp and higher systems which would require huge gauge wire to be ran to and from the ammeter. Expensive and a fire hazard. Plus if an ammeter craps out (opens up) the rest of your car has no electricity because it is wired in series with the battery. A voltmeter is wired in parallel with the battery and won't affect much if it goes bad. A voltmeter gives you more usable information about battery static/charging voltage than an ammeter that only shows direction and rate of charge.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bmcd66250 on 8/23/06 11:46pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info...my memory about how ammeters work is pretty limited, and I was pretty worried about something like that.
At this point, I am running a 60 amp unit, so it's not an issue, but I plan on upgrading it soon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts