Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...we have a 1965 Galaxie 500...352...we bought an amp gauge...a Chieftain...and the installing instructions we muddle on where to hook the positive wire to...we were told to be really careful in installing this amp gauge as it could short out the electrical system { OUCH!!!}we want to hook this cool gauge up and we want to do it right...need some help here.Thanx...Marla

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amperes...gotta know what the batt is up to...the instructions for the installation were kinda mind boggling.Marla

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There is a 10 gauge wire attached to the starter solanoid on the battery cable side. Disconnect it and run it to the gauge, Run a another 10 gauge wire from the gauge to the solanoid. If the gauge reads backwards reverse the wires on the back of the gauge. The wire you disconnected at the solanoid is the battery feed wire. Now you will be running all the power through the gauge. Most after market wiring kits tell you not to do this but to run a volt meter instead.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
You can go from the battery or from the starter Etc..., the part where they want you to be carefull is the INSULATION of the hot wires... They do not want you to short them out when installing the gauge because that could cause a fire and burn you and damage other items....

The reason you go through the ignition (Via the starter and other places) is so when the key is off there is no electrical drain on the system from the amp gauge.

FE

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I agree with the 406. I fully do not understand what FE is mentioning about the ingnition switch. In general after installation of a gauge, I set a Simpson V.O.M. onto the connections, just to make sure wires did not get grounded. Even weeks afterwards there should be zero to ground.

The ignition switch turns off the regulator and alternator. Thus, there normall would be zero flow anywhere on the thick gauge wire to ground or to battery. This is a new one on me, for have never heard of integrating the Ign. switch into the circuit. Nor, have I seen a diagram inclused inside the box of a new gauge on how to do this. Most times they mention, as does 406 to connect with two heavy gauge wires, and end.

Wm.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Marla, remember to disconnect the negative battery cable while you are doing anything with the electrical system.

1972 TR6 302 V8

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64squire on 8/5/06 12:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
That wiring diagram is for a factory amp gauge. Won't work for a after market one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK ...it is super cool to go to this site and tap into the collective experiences of such very hip to Fords people...once again a big thank you to all of you who have responded to my question.Marla

1 - 11 of 11 Posts