Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1970 mustang with amp gauge. Gauge is working but i would like to know is there any thing you can do to make the gauge show more of a charge. My gauge only move a small amount off center. Thank you

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a '69 and the same problem. I understand that it is common to all Ford units of that era. Don't know if you can get a better reading without hooking up a different guage.
Paul

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
It's my understanding that ampere guages show "flow" and not "charge". That's what voltmeters are for. Here's my personaly experinces: my amp guage is always slightly to the positive side when running. Crank the stereo and get the amplifier going, the amp guage jumps. Turn the lights on with the car off, the guage shows a discharge. As long as it it greater than 0 you know your charging system is keeping up. Also, if you shut the car off and have all your accessories off and the guage drops below 0 you know you have a bad drain somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hide a voltmeter in it.This will not only tell you if its charging but it will always tell you the state of voltage in the battery wheather the engine is running or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts