Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on replacing my hard cooler line with #6 AN lines. I've heard that a special fitting is required to go into the case. Something about the thread pitch. Has anyone else heard of this? If this is "special", then I guess it's not just NPT threaded, what is it?

Where can I get these fittings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
They cooler fittings are NPSM - straight pipe thread with an o-ring, not NPT. If you force NPT fittings in they could crack the case. It's pretty thin, probably why they used them in the first place. AFAIK - you can't get them anywhere, you'll have to buy a die and rethread some NPT parts.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 5/1/07 10:19am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
I wouldn't use the tapered thread,as sain can crack the case.
What i did recently was use the 1/8 NPT fitting and run the NPT die down the thread backwards and it cut the thread straight.It left a little shoulder near the head of the fitting i machined in a lathe to suit the o'ring ,sealed up nice .

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gregaust for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a lathe to turn any fittings.

Think I might take your tip on the running a NPT die down the thread backwards to recut it. Maybe I can carefully dremel a last thread down to fit the o-ring.

hmmmm.... have to give this some more thought..

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I can get the fitting through my parts supplier. I think you can get fittings at the hydraulic shops too but it has been a while since I've done that. The fittings from my parts supplier are stock replacement parts - ignore that. Hydraulic parts houses might still be a good bet. I don't like running hoses though, every source I have says to run metal lines. You can run the AN fittings with hard lines too.
Paul

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 5/3/07 6:48am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
I have to say i do like to run hard lines on my own cars but the few i have done have been for customers who want the braid and also these cars are turbo so there is no room to run hardline forward so i run the braid out of the trans ,around the back and down the left side..Works out real nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts