Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a friend that has some afr 165' that he bought for his 95 5.0 stang gt vert...

however.. he is going to sell them... he hasn't even removed them from the box! i dont know what hes asking, but this is option 1.

option 2.. some guyz that i used to work with are trying to hook up a deal with a local rod shop that says they can get a probe ind. 331 stroker kit.. COMPLETE for a little over 1100$

now.. what i am debating is which one would be better for a "mild" 302 that i would like to push 350/375/400 hp.. this is at flywheel not wheel.
it would be for the totally weak and lame stock 302 thats in my maverick... i have this feeling that if i did either one i could get those numbers, but i just want some opinions...
maybe i could do both? i think not though, the 165 is kinda small for 331 right?
thanks
jason

·
Registered
237 Posts
I dont think the 165 would be too small for a 331. They recommend the 185 for 408 stroker 351Ws so a 331 with 165s, good cam, intake, and exhaust should push those numbers easy. even a 302 would.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
It depends upon what your friend is willing to sell the AFRs for. They're great heads and will do very well for any engine. If you can get them significantly below retail, get the heads. The stroker kit price you mention really isn't all that great, if you look at Summit or PAW, and they're coming down in price every day, whereas it seems the AFRs are just getting more popular and therefore more pricey. (Perhaps the stroker kit price you mention is for a forged crank? That would be a very good price in that case.)

I wonder why you wouldn't consider the 347 stroker? If you're willing to go to the expense of stroking it, you might as well go as big as you can. The difference in $ between 331 and 347 kits is minimal. Then, put your AFRs on the 347 and hold on

Some people say the rod angle of the 347 is too severe, but in my opinion it's not if you're not going to rev it to the moon, and maybe add a stud girdle for extra insurance. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
You did not say how much money you have to play with. That 1100 bucks is just the kit by the time you get all the machine work done and it balanced you will be knocking
2000. If you had it the 165's would be a good addition and you could easly make your 400.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
They are right. That $1100 stroker kit will cost you quite a bit more than that to get it all done... and done right. That being said, I wouldn't choose the stroker over a good set of heads anyway....

The airflow path is what determines how much horsepower an engine is capable of.

The airflow path determines power potential. The size of the engine determines where in the rpm range it's going to make that power. The 165's on a 302 will make significantly more power than a set of stock heads on a 331. I'd take a good set of heads over 29 cubic inches any day.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts